Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Spec out a Custom G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 27, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Everyone

I have had Gas for several years now for a G&L Semi Hollow ASAT Bass and having recently been able to play one I have decided to custom order one.I have pretty much decided to go with Matt the Guitar Man http://www.guitarmannyc.com , he by far had the best and lowest prices out of all the dealers i emailed and he responded the fastest as well. I have the basic specs of what i want i just have a few options i want to get some feeback on.

G&L Semi Hollow ASAT Bass

Swamp Ash Body (with the option of a figured maple top but I am leaning on not getting it). In regards to the Finish i am sure most of you would have guessed Greenburst , you are Correct !

Body Binding - I can get both sides bound or just the top and i have the option of natural or white binding , i dont know much about binding so i am very open to suggestions.

Maple / Maple Neck with the possibility of a Birdseye Maple Fingerboard, I just dont know how it would look with a plain top what do you think?. I deffenetly want to get a Matching Headstock on this bass.

So if i could get some feedback on figured tops, fingerboard and binding i would appreciate it. Thanks

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think a bird's eye fretboard would look fine with a plain top. I'd probably go for white binding for more contrast with the body finish, and might think about it for the fretboard as well for an "outline" look. (In case you're wondering, yes, I've thought about a custom G&L!)

Some of these options might be visible at www.bassnw.com. Here's a link to their G&L gallery:

http://bassnw.com/Special Order Basses/gl.htm

3. MAJOR METAL

I just got this from the dealer i am planning on using

" I just spoke to G&L and right now they have no Bird’s Eye maple even for fingerboards – the last batch they bought was rejected for poor quality and they said that even if you were to order one now, it would be a long time before they’d be able to built it, whereas with a regular neck, chances are you’d have it within a couple of months.

Matt "

4. You wouldn't consider an ebony board? :bag:

I think it would look super good with a greenburst body.

As for binding, I'd say get it it on both front and back; it just shows someone cared a little when you turn the instrument around. My G&L Tribute ASAT guitar with a sunburst finish has the sunburst on the back as well as the front, and I think it looks nice that way.

Natural or white binding?

Hmmm, either is fine, but I'd lean towards natural.

I must play this baby when you get her. :)

Mike

5. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    +1 on ebony fingerboard. Macassar ebony, if possible; it has very nice texture to it and tonaly it is even tigter than african ebony (I think).

I have a custom l-2000 with swamp ash body, maple neck and unmarked macassar ebony fretboard. Non only it looks great, but it is the best sounding l-2000 I have ever tried. I had a chance to compare it side by side to 7 other american l-2000 with different options, fretboards, necks etc. And it sounded best of them all. It could be to due to the quality of swamp ash, that body was made of, but I think ebony has to to something with it too.

Just my 2 cents,

Vidas

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    My L-2500 has the natural binding and a heavily figured birdseye neck and board. It looks really nice. I'd say bag the exotic top, but make them pick you a really wildly grained piece of ash. That and some nice bridseye would make a killer asat. I just wish they'd make me a 5'r. I've called and asked, I was turned down due to the fear of neck dive, as per G&L. bummer :crying:

7. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    One more thing, you can upgrade your preamp with optional coil switching. It is not advertised as standard option, but they will do it if you request. I think it is a must on every l-2000/2500. You can switch pickups from singlecoils to humbuckers. It probably is a series/parallel coil switching and I would highly recommend it. At low levels the diference in tone is subtle, but at high volumes or in a live setting it is very noticeable. After having that option you start wondering why it is not present on all l-2000.

8. MAJOR METAL

Dont they all come with that switch to split the pick up?

9. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    No. With standard setup you can switch pickups in series or parallel, but not the COILS. Every pickup has two coils, that normally are wired as humbuckers. The upgrade that I mentioned lets you switch the wiring of the coils between singlecoils/humbuckers.

Vidas

10. MAJOR METAL

I appologize for bothering you with this again but could you explain the diffrence between series and parallel with running either 1 coil or both on the pick up?. Thanks

11. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Hey, no problem. That's what TB is for. :bassist:

Anyway, in humbucker mode the sound is a little bit more creamy, smoother, rounder but still has plenty of growl. In singlecoil mode you get a little bit more definition and clarity. Little bit more mid-presence, little bit more punch and growl. At high levels it definitely helps to cut through. You know how versatile L-2000 and ASATs are, so immagine that versatility plus another tonal pallete to choose from. In live settings I always use singlecouil mode - in my oppinion it sounds better. Also it lends itself very well to chordal and solo stuff. Once again in live setting I am able to switch between very different sounds almost without touching my rig eq. The difference in sound levels is not very noticeble, which makes me think, that all coils are active all the time, just is series or parralel mode. Once again it is good, becaus you can swich between these modes live without touching your volume control.

Hope that helped -

Vidas

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think the typical G&L setup has series/parallel switches for the humbuckers, which changes the internal wiring of the pickups. When a humbucker's coils are wired in series, it's phatter sounding, with more low mids and less highs, and more output. In parallel, it will sound a little more like a single coil, with more bite and growl, more highs, and output more like a single coil.

It sure would be cool to get switches that would allow series, parallel, or single coil options for the humbuckers. That's what the Fender Roscoe Becks have. In single coil mode you'd probably get some hum, but it would definitely be a useful option. You'd get more clarity, like a Jazz bass. I think G&L used single/humbucker switches initially, but changed to series/parallel at some point in the 1990's.

I've rethought my position on the binding. With a maple fretboard, I'd get natural body binding. With ebony or rosewood, I'd get white binding, and put it on the fretboard too. That would look sweet. (Actually, I'd probably just bind the fretboard in that case.) If I got body binding, I'd want it on both sides.

I'm planning to test an L-1500 today. We'll see...

13. MAJOR METAL

Looks like i am going into to place my order today !:hyper: :bassist:

14. NO figured top....greenburst over a beautiful, natural grain would be my choice.

I also would love to see that with a macassar ebony board.

just .02 worth.

15. MAJOR METAL

Hi Everyone

I went into Manhattan yesterday and i went and saw Matt the Guitar Man to place an Order for a G&L this is what i ordered

G&L ASAT Semi Hollow Bass
    Swamp Ash Body( I asked for alot of figured grain if they could do it) in Greenburst on both sides.
    #8 Maple Neck and Finger board with satin finish ( The Gun Oil neck finish was very tempting for me but i tend to sweat alot when i play and i fured it would get pretty sticky for me). Matching Greenburst Headstock.

I was going to go with binding on both sides but i ended up not going with body binding , i am still on the fence about it but i can allways call before tomorrow and change it.

I should have it in Early to Mid April just in time for my Birthday ! :hyper:

16. MAJOR METAL

I asked the dealer to find out about this for me. Thanks

17. MAJOR METAL

I am really excited to get this bass ! :hyper: Should be here by Early to Mid April.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats about when my new bass is coming too :) Hopefully early April since i ordered it January 4th/5th.

19. Don't want to bring you down at all, but just to let you know, I ordered in August and am still waiting for my L-2500... I think I just missed the L series run though, so April sounds pretty good!

20. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Congrats on ordering a great bass! American G&L's are indeed great players.

Vidas