Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me spend....expert opinion please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Z4NC, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    Well...it's been 4 mos since I was lucky enough to find this forum after a 12+ yr hiatus and my first post. I got a new Schecter bass and SWR cab from the wife and son as a gift...."to get back into things"....Oh how quickly things change...when you have a forum like this to learn from and help you spend your money :)....since then I've purchased a 2nd bass, a new US made G&L-L2500 and two Aguilar GS112s..all I can say is I'm hooked on the "lows" again and lovin it...it's all coming back to me.

anywho...it;s time to upgrade the third component of my setup - the amp. My current amp is a hybrid Hartke 3500 (350w 4ohms)...would like something that tickles the GS112s a little more, hence my search for wisdom.. trying to stay at or below $900 ...and oh yes...I love the tube sound.. From searching the forum it seems that the following are good alternatives to drive the Aggies that may fall in the price range (used):

- Eden Wt-400 or 550
    - mesa m-pulse 600
    - Thunderfunk TFB420
    - EA iAMP 500

have I not learned anything from TB?..Am I heading in the right direction? I welcome any comments or additional suggestions ...thanks!

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I got the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 and wow is it INCREDIBLE! I love the tone, it's bassy, boomy, trebbly, and perfect! The built in compressor is great, the 5 band parametric helps loads! I like to cut the mids and still have some mid presence and this amp can do it. 600 watts is a good level and boy is it loud!

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You should contact Dave at ThunderFunk. I believe he a has a demo model for around $650. Great amp!!!

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    SVT CLASSIC..tubes are a wonderfull thing.

5. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
  6. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To me, it would be a tough call between the M-Pulse 600, the ThunderFunk, and the iAMP 500. All would be great choices, and the WT-550 is not bad, either. It's really a personal preference call. You have narrowed it down to some excellent choices. I own a Walkabout and an iAMP 500, and I love them both. I auditioned a TFB420 and was VERY impressed, but as it did not have the headroom of my iAMP 800, and tonally, the Walkabout is in the same league, I couldn't justify getting it. However, I would strongly consider an 800+ watt Thunderfunk.

Tom.