1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me Spend My Inheritance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Sadowsky Metro Vintage

43 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. EBMM SR4/5HH

23 vote(s)
    27.4%
  3. Lakland 44-02/DJ4/Scheff

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. G&L L-2000/2500

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. :hyper: I'll soon be getting a part of an inheritance. After doing the right thing like putting money away for my son's college and paying off the credit cards, I'm setting aside around 3K for a new bass and guitar. I don't want to make this a "what bass to buy" thread but I am intersted in all opinions as to quality, playability, tone, value, etc. of the equipment I'm most impressed with. I've played them all and they are all very good, and that's the problem and why I would like informed opinions. Assume that you could only have 1 bass. Which would it be and why. I'm figuring on paying around 2k for the bass and the rest on the guitar, although thats flexible. I've listed the choices in order of my preference. The Sadowsky was top but is also the most expensive. I've listed multiple string options because I'm not sure if I'm sticking with the 5 or going back a 4 :help:
    For those who also play guitar, I'm looking at EBMM and G&L, maybe Fender. Opinions on these would also be appreciated.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    You can start by lending me about $1500 for a Spector Euro LX!:D
    My vote is for the Sadowsky.

3. Oh, I played the Spector. Very nice but I forgot to put it into the poll. And no, I don't think I could loan you the money.:p

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If I was seriously spending that kind of cash, I'd pick none of the above and go with a small custom builder.

5. Any names?

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I don't have enough experience with those basses to pick one. I'll bite on the guitar front though. If I could have only one guitar to cover every gig, it would be an American Deluxe HSS Strat, with locking tremolo. It's versatile, has excellent playability, and has the fantastic Samarium Cobalt Noiseless single coils. Plus, the HSS version has hotter single coils to match the bridge humbucker. A buddy of mine has the SSS version, and it's just awesome. He has an impressive collection, and this is in his top two.

7. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I have a 5 string Sadowsky Metro, I totally love it, it works great in every situation I play in. It was a great choice for me.

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    There are a bunch of builders who are TBers. Think about keeping the bucks *in the neighborhood* and giving one of them a chance. :)

9. Thats a good choice. I've checked out the deluxe SSS and thought the HSS might be nicer. I'm not a huge fan of Fender but the deluxe was certainly nice. Good suggestion, thanks.

10. flange

flange

Feb 22, 2005
    Cochrane Alberta
    Dingwall without a doubt

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't vote, but here me out here...

Why not go used and get both an amazing custom bass & guitar?

You could get something like a Robin or a Suhr for >1500, and

Get a very nice bass like a Roscoe or mabye even a Sadowsky for the rest that's left!

You got a lot of options though, makes me wish I had $3000.

12. Of the choices given I voted Sadowsky Metro; but I would also suggest you look at a used F-Bass BN5.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

My friend, we think alike.

A Dingwall Afterburner I would be right in the range and can provide as much or more (I think more) than any of the basses listed. Beyond the excellent craftsmanship, increadible design and sumptuous finishes, they sound amazing and have an extremely high resale value.

14. steve21

steve21 Banned

For the guitar I say the HSS Deluxe LT

As for bass, is this just a bass thing, or would you require a rig also?

15. I haven't ruled out used, it's just easier going to stores and playing new. I like the idea of a used Suhr or a Don Grosh, who builds them a few miles from where I live.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd probably pick up the Sadowsky Metro and a slighly used American Strat, but that's me.

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I vote for that.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If it were me, I'd get the Sadowsky of my dreams.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Im a Sadowsky player but you should play them all and make your own decision. make sure you check them out in a band setting. Thats the only way to know for sure

Rob

20. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    What you wanna do is, instead of buying right away, put that money someplace where it'll appreciate.

Like my bank account. I'll appreciate the hell out of it there.