1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me spend my money GK...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GKR1, Oct 24, 2009.

1. GKR1

GKR1

Oct 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Ok. I need a new rig, I stopped playing out 5 years ago and I sold my rig back then, currently, I started playing again and I've been rehearsing with my b100R and using my Sanamps Driver for XLR out.
    d I'm not sure what I really want to tote around and what I can get away with without spending way too much on cabs or power that I do not need. Like to keep it small and lite. Small to mid size gigs (100 to 300 patrons) Playing style finger and pick, Classic Rock / Ol School Heavy Metal / Slap and Funk. I think RB400IV might not be enough power at 8ohms. However, I think I could get great growl from low wattage.
    Options:

GK (Neo) 700RB-112 combo or GK 700RB-210 or 115 combo -- Which one is better sounding for my application?

Or

GK 700RB with 210 Neo Cab or GK 700RB with 410 Neo Cab

Or

GK (NEO)1001RB-212 bass amp combo

Can I get by with 210 cab for just stage monitor, playing in power trio, Marshall 50W half stack & hard hitting drummer. I know there are a lot of gray areas but over all I need your input.

Also, is riding the rail feasible with GK hi-watt combo amps? or is it strictly a modular setup dealio.

Thank you

2. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    700 and 410 is a good all around combo.

I would think a 210 would suffice for monitoring, and a 400 should be plenty.

If you want to rail it out, think about an 800 and 410. IMO, that's the GK gold standard.

3. GKR1

GKR1

Oct 22, 2009
    San Diego

Thanks for the reply, you know I'm not sure at what amount of output it is considered rail? I'm worried that I'll drown out the other guys?

Also, I should have mentioned is 2*10 cab enough with no PA support for rehearsal? My last rig was a 4*10 and I've no clue how much delta is between 210/410.

Please comment on combos as well.

Thanks

4. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    On the rails is basically at the rated power level, where breakup is starting. It's loud, and it's tough on cabs. But I don't think this is a realistic application for a Monitor/FOH setup, unless it's miked.

If you know exactly what your requirements are, you may be able to get some advice directly from Bob Gallien, because that really needs to be dialed in.

A 210 is plenty for rehearsal unless your guitar player is a goof. Just don't blow it up.

In my other post, by "combo", I meant combination of head and cab. I generally don't like combo amps, except for some specific purposes.

5. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    the neo212 combo is really great sounding and easy to tote... I have a rack with a 1001RB-II and a new 412 and soooooo wish I would have gone with the 212 combo and a "just in case" 212 extension. I love 12's.. I hate dragging the 412 around even though it sounds very good!

Cover band - 50's to current stuff, fingers, picks, bottles, cue balls(nice for slide) loud bars and outdoor stuff.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    we all know that situations can change. if you're going with GK, i think that the GK 700RB with 410 Neo Cab option that you mentioned is the best choice. you'll get plenty of growl and be able to keep up with most any style of music or size of audience within reason.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you ask me, definitely go for the gk 700rb with the 4x10 neo cab. not only is it a light-weighted rig, it can give you a killer sound.

8. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    While you haven't listed the following combination, as a GK user for many years I'd suggest you at least consider the GK 700RB amp, and a GK NEO 212 cab.

9. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
  10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

IME, a 210 is not enough for playing any type of hard rock or metal - most of those types of bands have a pounder for a drummer, and/or a loud guitar or two... I tried to "get by" at a couple of rehearsals with a Peavey 210TVX - arguably a good solid 210 - and it didn't cut it... My band isn't unreasonably loud for a modern rock/hard rock/metal band - we've done alot of gigs, and some were fairly high profile - and a 210 just won't get the job done for that stuff, IME...

A 700rb-II and a 410 will work quite well for you, and cover every situation, without you having to push it hard enough to blow drivers... I use my 700rb-II with either a Mesa PH 610, an SVT410-HLF, or a 215D-BW loaded with Eminence Kappa LFAs - and it gets the job done, no sweat - and sounds great doing it...

- georgestrings

11. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I'd kill the combo idea, and pick up the 700rbII and the GK neo 212. Killer rig, portable, and expandable.

12. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I have a GK700RBII 112 combo---It has no issues keeping up. Sounds as good as the separate head and cab (I own both). I would however add a 2nd 112 for louder situations. The 700RBII rocks. The only thing you might want to consider is one of the new GK MB212 combos. They have not hit the streets yet but the similar MB210 sounds really good, is light as a feather, and about the same price as the 700RBII head on it's own.

13. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I would Say The Gk 1001rb II... I just got one a few weeks ago and Man Does It Kill's.... Mind you i am running 2 410cabs!!! But even with one it is very sweet.... I guess I look at is this way i would rather Have to much then not enough... you can always turn down!!!... I love the 1001mk II sound. I find it a lot warmer and smother then the old 1001rb and 700 rb i use to own. But yeah whether it is the 700rb II or the 1001 rb II... You can go wrong and hey it is not to much More $$ for the larger 1001!!... Thats my 2 cents worth!~!~!... Best of luck!!

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Agreed. G-K's Neo 12" drivers sound fantastic.

15. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I played the 700rbII into the 112 last night, without PA support. Wicked little rig, and I can get out with all of my gear in one trip.

16. GKR1

GKR1

Oct 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Thanks for the input guys.

I really like to keep it lit amd small and perhaps use it at the house to practice too.

Question if I decide to go 2*10 cab and head will it be more punchy and warmer then a single 12' cab or 15' cab?

I use to carry a lot of gear which I never turned up more then 4 at max volume, and this was a 350w head with 4*10.

17. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    My problem with 210's as stand-alone is that they are all punch.... although I've played a bunch of 410's that I've absolutely loved. I know there are exceptions out there, so that is really just a general observation from my own experience. I feel 12's are a great compromise between the 10's and 15's.

There are some really great and efficient 12's out there. If you want to stick with GK, then I can't recommend the neo 12's enough.

I'll take a good single 12 over a 210 as a standalone every time.

18. +10

19. GKR1

GKR1

Oct 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I hear you :D

Perhaps the 1001 2*12 combo is the ticket. I think it is just too big of rig for me at this time.

I'm thinking if I get 700 and the 210 cab, later I can add 12' or 15' cab if needed and I can have real nice modular rig.

I just need to know if 210 cab is loud enough & punchy, with good low end and mids without PA for rehearsal. I'm afraid that I'll destroy the speakers.:meh:

20. Another option is the GK 1001RB-II through two Neo 1x12" cabs. That way, you can get all of the power out of the 1001RB-II at 4 ohms, and you can have a modular rig for different venues.