Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me spend my money!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zentner, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Ok, So i'm thinking of picking up a new bass, and i want this bass to actually fit my needs, not like my last bass. About 5 years ago, i picked up an Ibanez EDC705, almost solely because it looked good, and felt good for my playing style. Now, however, i'm looking for something more serious.

Here's what i'm looking for....

1. Not something with a crazy body (bongo), and not something really... normal, such as a P-bass or Jazz bass body design. Something more along the lines of a Dingwall, or maybe a corvette. I want the body to be WOOD!

2. A really dark and colorful sound, something I can play jazz and funk to, even though I play in a hardcore/metalcore band, so it needs to be versatile!! I need to be able to slap, without having twangy overtones, as well as be able to fingerpick. i'll be slaping and fingerpicking about 50% of the time each.

3. An ebony fretboard is preferred but not necessary.

4. NEEDS TO BE AVAILABLE IN CANADA!

5. Needs to be under $3000 CAN. (if possible)

6. 5 String.

Ok, with all this in consideration, and that i'm playing through a Mesa 400+ -> BagEnd Q10BX-D.... what's the right bass for me?

I'm currently considering Dingwall, because they're easily available in canada, and just seem to be made well all around. Any other suggestions?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    A Smith, Roscoe, Zon, Sadowsky would all fit your requirements. I'd play all of them and see what you like. IF you're going to spend a large amount of cash you should play every bass you can get your hands on and not settle for something that isn't exactly what you want.

4. "help me spend my money" ......
    for me its like, help me get some money

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  7. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Of course, Getting a Fender with a $2K budget is a bit like going into a 1000 flavor ice cream parlor and ordering vanilla...

;)

9. 1. Not something with a crazy body (bongo), and not something really... normal, such as a P-bass or Jazz bass body design. Something more along the lines of a Dingwall, or maybe a corvette. I want the body to be WOOD!

Read that and tell me i want a fender again....NO I DO NOT WANT A DAMN FENDER...or anything that looks like one.

Thanks for all the replies though, and keep them coming!

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    MTDs, Roscoes, Smiths, Nordstrand, F Basses, there's lotsa options... Good luck :)

11. I'm really likin' the looks of this DK5, andone seen anything similar?

12. I'm likin the MTD american stuff too, but it's a bit out of my pricerange :(

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You want WOOD? ;) like the "sound of wood"? ;)
    A Corvette Std 6 here, and I love it. Nice growl - very good for fingerstyle; quite responsive to where you play and with which technique; good slap tone with the right strings; can be custom-ordered with ebony board, but the wenge board, though feels a bit strange at first, serves the tone better. But as I see you have already tried some (as you said along the lines of a Dingwall or a Corvette) - go and try the others as well, there have been some good basses mentioned in the previous posts, too.

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Oh yeah. and the used market.

Check out as many basses as you can