Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me spend some money on a PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tuBass, Aug 10, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I need to find two 12" PA speakers that are full range, but give the best low range possible without a sub.
    Any thoughts? I think JBL makes a SR4722X that is supposed to have a nice low end, but any other candidates out there?

Mark

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Are you sure you can't go with 15s? Neither is going to give you much bottom IMO, but let's see what everyone else has to say.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    15's might be possible if I can find some that have a good high end, and don't sound too muddy

Mark

4. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Mack attack? Mackie has some cool low power PA gear out. Subs can alway be added down the road. I find Peavey, JBL, Yamaha,Carvin and Electrovoice are good options too.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You might try JBL's new Eon 10G2 or Eon 15G2. I heard some of the 10's crankin' away at GC the other day, and was very impressed by the bottom that came out of those 10's. There was no sub. Or you could go to their 15's, which sound mighty fine, too.

Of course there's the venerable Mackie SR 450's. I just watched a band playing through those this afternoon, and they sounded mighty fine to me.

6. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The definition or clarity of a PA speaker tends to have more to do with the horn design than the woofer size. A PA speaker with a large horn will usually sound "crisper" than a PA speaker with only a bullet tweeter.
    The crossover frequency can also affect the clarity of a speaker cabinet. 3-way cabinets (3 speaker drivers of different sizes crossovered at different frequencies) tend to have more clarity than 2-way cabinets.

How a PA handles Low frequencies is impacted by the woofer size though. If you want a PA cabinet that produces good lows, I would go with a 15".
    The size of the cabinet also affects the lows - a smaller cabinet usually means less lows.
    Usually larger cabinets with larger drivers handle more power and are louder than cabinets that are smaller with smaller drivers.

A 2-way cabinet with a 15" and horn should not be muddier than a 2-way cabinet with a 12" and horn.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually while we're talking active 12's, I've seen drummers use the Mackie Industrial (formerly RCF) ART series as drum fill, feeding kick drum through it so they can hear themselves better. All said it had more bottom end that any other 12 out there.

Wonder why there's no EON 12"?

Just for reference, the company that I work for imports Phonic PA gear into Australia for the budget minded entry level buyers. Just to help you compare potential products, the specs for the unpowered 12 are:- 55Hz to 20K, 400W, 98dB sensitivity. I'd use these specs as bare minimum........