Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me spend some money...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by no4mk1, Jul 2, 2005.

1. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hi all,

My current rig is an Ashdown ABM EVO 300 through a mini 115 and mini 112. It has been a good rig for me, but I want to get a little more volume out of it, and the 112 just isn't cutting it.

My budget less than or equal to $700.00 US. I am trying to decide whether I should buy a 4-ohm cabinet that will stand alone, or an 8-ohm that I could use in conjuction with my mini-115. Another factor to consider is that within the next 12 months, I'll be looking for a new more powerful head (Mesa M-Pulse 600 maybe) so I can retire the Ashdown to backup status. The new cab should be able to handle more power, but still "RAWK" with the 325 watts the Ashdown can deliver.

A couple of cabs I'm looking at are that would work with the Mini-115 are the Ashdown ABM 410T, and the Bag End Q10B-D.

The 4-ohm Ampeg SVT-410HLF would probably work well on its own.

Any advice? Any other configurations that might help my volume with this head and still be within my budget? 2x12 maybe?

I am not opposed to used, but I need an Idea of what may work before I go hunting.

Some notes on my style... I am a primarily fretless fingerstyle player in an original roots rock outfit. Think the clash hires "Duck" Dunn, and decided to play country influenced british pop songs about love gone wrong. I like a warm, slightly dirty, low-mid heavy sound that compliments a single vintage tube amp playing gui****. My basses are G&L L-2000s. One fretless, one fretted.

Thanks for the advice,
    Chris

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Check out Eden, Bergantino, Schroeder, SWR, and Aguilar cabs.

3. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX

4. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id go a schroeder 1212

5. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Well... I went to BassNW today to try a few cabs and decided to pick up the Ashdown ABM 410T. It sounds great, matches my rig, and gives me the volume boost I needed.

If only it was as light as the mini 112 that it replaced! :smug:

Cheers,
    Chris