Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me spending my money ... Mesa/Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icks, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Mesa Boogie M2000

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Ampeg SVT Pro 3

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Ampeg SVT 350H

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Ampeg B5R

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Ampeg V4BH

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Ok guys, I have a +- 1300€ and i'm looking for an head, i'm considering two brands, Mesa Boogie and Ampeg.
    I found a Mesa Basis M2000 for 1300 used. But the Ampeg V4BH retails new that price... I have some little doubt about my choice, so please help me.

I play mostly grunge, and I look for tones like the following songs:

Nirvana - Lounge act
    Nirvana - Lithium
    Nirvana - In bloom
    Green day - most of songs

and so on ...

I play now an Fender Pbass 57' RI MIJ in 82' and a deluxe jazz thru a line6 Pod with SVT mod.

Next item on my shopping list and ampeg SVT 610HLF.

Cheers
    Laurent

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    ampeg cab-------ampeg head

3. I own both the B5R and the V4B-H and use them for different specific purposes. But the funny thing is, each amp excels with the speaker cabs I least thought they'd work well with.
    example:
    To top my classic stack of the Ampeg SVT410HE and Ampeg SVT115 I figured the V4BH was the most logical choice. Oh it sounds great allright, it really does, BUT...
    The V4BH sitting atop the Avatar B212 was simly a revelation. For the first time in my life I can hear the true voice and tone of the V4B.
    The all-tube tone passes thru transparentlly; I can get controlled feedback that I love using (sparingly).I just can't say enough about my new practice rig, Avatar is is unreal.
    So when I gig, I use the B5R and the above 2 Ampeg cabs. I finally have the power and headroom to complete with 2 loud guitarists,
    I ususally split my cabs to either side of the drummer so that I may create my own little wall of sound. The B5R is excellent, in my humble opinion, because of it's extreme simplicity in setup and tone control. And, as an added bonus,
    the B5R can handle the mythical 2-Ohm load,and it puts out a very solid 500 watts in doing so!
    Not many amps in it's price range can do 2-Ohm!!
    I play the passive Reverend Rumblefish Bass and use RotoSound strings exclusively.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Friends don't let friends buy Mesa/Ampeg.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Awww, c'mon. I thought you once said Mesa amps weren't that bad.

:D

6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Friends don't let friends let friends not let them buy Ampeg ;) :p

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    My head hurts now .....

Thanks guys ....

I forgot to mention in the poll, please specify other choices.

8. I would definetly buy the Ampeg SVT3-Pro! I've owned mine for a year now and it is AWESOME! It has all the power you'll need (whether it's for a 4x10 or 8x10 cab), and you won't have to worry about changing tubes every year. For a hybrid (solid-state amp...tube pre-amp) it sounds pretty warm. Plus you get that classic Ampeg crunch if you want it! The SVT3-Pro will also allow you dial in different frequencies for the type of music you play. You can also adjust the tube pre-amp gain and mix it with the solid state gain. On top of all this it has a kick-ass EQ and tone controls.

SURVEY SAYS: Ampeg SVT3-PRO Is a great choice!!!:D

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    How 'bout a Mesa Walkabout? I don't know how much it goes for over there, but it's quite a nice head, with a lot of really good features. Other than that, I'd probably vote for the other Mesa, because of it's riduculous versatility and reliability.

10. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    here the mesa m2000 retails at 3690€ !!! Almost my car! I find one used for that price, the ampeg goes in the same range, but they are new.

11. So, there exist people that dont like Mesa?

Amazing

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now that you mention it, I do remember that I played through a Mesa 400 whatsit into a big bullum Mesa cab. As I recall, I said it didn't suck.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Well crap. I was about to edit my post, cause I remembered you said it "didn't suck" rather than it wasn't "that bad", but you beat me to it.

For my 2 cents, I'd go Mesa over Ampeg anyday. The biggest complaint I've heard about the M2000 is that it isn't a "plug and play" amp. You've got to be ready to do quite a bit of tweaking.

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I voted for the SVT-3 pro, because its a sweet amp. But if thats not your bag, i'd go for something mesa. I've totally loved EVERY M-pulse series Mesa i've ever played through... i really wanted to try the 400+, my GC has two of them, but alas, they aren't plugged in, they just sittin there. So, either the SVT-3 Pro or a Mesa M-Pulse. Oh, the walkabout kicks! i was playing it into a SWR Goliath Jr (and man do i hate SWR) but the sound was awesome. Awesome EQ, awesome headroom, overall awesome amp.

peace,
    Scott

15. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    It's the only complain about the mesa i red too.
    But it's not a problem with me.

16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    How about a GK1001RBII?

17. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    here GK isn't so common, so it will take longer to have it, and it will probably more expensive.

18. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I bought the mesa, too sweet, i'm on a trip to heaven ...

19. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i've got a friend who uses a m2000 with ampeg 1x15 and 4x10 cabinets and his sound rules.. he gets a wide variety of tones too, i was very impressed.

20. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    you would go for a svt3pro, because it s excelent!!!!
    i got mine since 3 years.M2000 is not good as this one.
    Power, warmth ,definition and punch !!!

It works very well with ebs cabs (best cabs in the world).I am don t really like classic ampeg cabs, but it works too, like swr.