1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me stop the squeak!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by eichaan, Jul 19, 2008.

1. eichaan

eichaan

Jun 15, 2008
    Hi:
    I'm new to bass after 23 years of guitar, and while I am having tons of fun playing my new SX bass, I am bothered by a ringing overtone when I play. I THINK it comes from my fingers sliding and lifting on and off.

Two questions: 1) Is this normal?
    2) Can I make it go away with new strings?

The bass came with roundwounds. Would flats make this better or worse?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. iamthebassplayr

iamthebassplayr Gold Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    You will get more finger sound from roundwounds... but don't just change gear unless the actual tone is what you are going for... Work on technique... when muting strings don't just put a finger down on it.. learn where harmonics are, and mute around and away from them so you don't get them ringing... Mute with your right hand and left hand... letting your fingers drag or skim across the strings will also give you more noise. Learn to keep your strings quiet and under control =P

3. ooooh I hate when I do that too!!!!!!

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You have to work on your muting technique. Most ringing strings are muted with your right hand the popular technique is Floating Thumb. Go to YouTube and look for a video by Todd Johnson who has a forum here on TB. Todd has a good video on floating thumb. For times when right hand muting won't work you do left hand muting.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021