1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Surprise Our Guitarist (Delay Pedal As A Present)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Imaginos, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    Hi TB!

I'm going to surprise our band's guitarist - I know, a curse word here! - by buying him a some kind of delay pedal. Since I can't ask him straight ahead what kind of model would be nice (would ruin the surprise, duh), I was thinking about asking your help so that the present isn't too much off target.

So, what would you recommend for a vintage sounding, budget priced (used or new) delay pedal? The ones I've thought about this far are Danelectro FAB Delay, DE1 and Reel Echo and EHX Memory Boy. Any other suggestions? :) Our band plays original funk mixed with classic and progressive 60s and 70s rock.

2. Wud

Wud

Apr 11, 2009
    MXR Carbon Copy (Analogue and small enclosure)
    Akai Headrush2 (Digital and large enclosure but does have a loop function too).

3. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    This was supposed to be on my list too. Too bad the price is a bit steep. :meh:

4. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    LovePedal Echo Baby. Such a cool lil' pedal.

5. Find a Delta Lab used on the GC site. My guitarist got one for 25 bucks and it's true bypass and sounds amazing.

New I would go with a EHX Nano Memory Toy. Analog, True Bypass goodness.

6. Check the First Act Delay pedal, less than $40 and works great! very analog sounding, and dont let the name fool you, it is a great pedal, google it for reviews and you will see what im talking about.

7. Danelectro PB&J (DJ17)

Has 2 switchable speeds for easy access during performance. For the price, its a diamond. Has a full second of delay, you have an on/off switch as well as a fast/slow button to choose between 2 delay settings with ease.

Can be had on eBay for around $20.00 all day, great first delay pedal, I still use mine and I've been playing 30 years.

8. erock0138

erock0138

Feb 4, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Boss DD series, or Electro Harmonix memory boy/man. Those are all you need.

9. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Best pedal for that kind of music would either be a Boss DD-7 as it has the modulate and analog mode or a EHX Memory Boy IMHO

10. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    How bout you just ask him? ...in an indirect way.
    I gave Christmas gifts to my bandmates one year and got them all exactly what they asked for without them ever knowing what I was up to. On one cold miserable day of rehearsal the practice space was set up with their gifts covered in ribbons and bows. Their jaw dropping reactions as they opened the door where all caught on camera. Absolutely priceless! :D

Finding out what gear your bandmates want is very simple. Start up a gear talk conversation during rehearsal (that should be easy :rolleyes:). Bring up a pedal conversation and express some curiousity about getting delay pedal. Your guitar player will probaly end up talking about the specific delay pedal that they have always wanted. Now you know what to get him.
    If your guitar player isn't much of a gear-head than you can at least get an idea of what brands they like and what features they would look for in a delay pedal. Shop around. Then surprise him with a gift that makes him believe you must be some kind of mind reader! ;)

11. memboy

12. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    Normally I would do this but since he just spent his money on some proper overdrive, he's not going to buy anything in a while and thus pedals haven't been a frequent topic for him. He just once threw the whole idea in the air without going into specifics so he'd probably call my bluff if I tried to slyly ask his opinions on delays. From what I've listened to, the Memory Toy and Boy both sound something he'd probably love. :D

13. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    memboy

14. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    on a budget...I would say MXR Carbon Copy as well...

15. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'd say the Line 6 EchoPark or MXR Carbon Copy, but that's only because I'm selling those now in the Classifieds.

(shameless self promotion)

Seriously though, it's hard to go wrong with a Carbon Copy if you want analog or a Boss DD-5/DD-7 if you want digital. Since you're doing 60's/70's, I'd go analog.

16. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    Digitech Hardwire DL-8. You could find one used for under $100 I think. It's a digital delay with modulation, reverse, 'analog', and tape settings. It can be run in stereo through two amps (ping pong delay). Tap tempo is an option. the Dl-8 can also do looping up to (I think) 8 seconds.

DL-8 sounds better than a Boss DD-7

The MXR Carbon Copy sounds nice, and is analog, but it's not versatile.

A vintage E-H Memory Man is a good one, but I'd stay away from new ones given the price.

My favorite delay is probably the Eventide Timefactor given it's versatility (compound delay options, dotted eights setting, etc) and memory bank to store settings and quickly recall settings. However, it is expensive.

I've been through lots of delay pedals as a guitar player.

17. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

this ?

18. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    If you can swing it the Carbon Copy is definitely worth it! It's been my go to for years, and with the way I go through things that's really saying something. It may be my longest owned pedal at this point.

19. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    EH Memory Man with Hazarai. So. Much. Fun.

20. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    ... were because they were reminded how cool their bass player is. :smug:

Good one, I am gonna steal that idea if you don't mind.