Help me: SWR Silverado Special speaker issues!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eilif, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    My SWR Silverado Special (300 watts, 2x12 combo) is having speaker issues when I play loud low notes, the bottom speaker makes horrible rattling/farting/grinding sounds. When I push my finger against the speaker (not the cone) and play, the noise pretty much goes away.

Has this speaker been blown? My suspicion is that it has, since the upper speaker seems to be just fine.

If I have to replace the speaker ( have no problems replacing and wiring it myself), is it worth it to get a SWR replacement, or is it more cost effective to purchase a different speaker?

Also, if I replace one with a different speaker, should I also replace the upper speaker or should I replace both?

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Well, you would need to take internal cabinet volume measurements and find a suitable driver. I don't know the 12" SWR drivers' default sound, as the only one I have ever played is a Workingman's 12. That was through the biased SWR head.
  3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    It's possible that the speaker screws have gotten a bit loose. Air leaking around the edges of loud bass notes will make quite a bit of noise. See if tightening the screws on the bottow speaker makes a difference.
  4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I'll try that tomorrow night at practice. It would be great if that was all it was.