1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me tame a rattling rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zippydog, Jun 7, 2007.

1. zippydog

zippydog

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    My rig's 4 space rack is rattling pretty badly on certain. Rather than not play those notes, :D I'd really like to fix the rattles.

Based on some searching I've done here, I bought Auralex isolators (Gramma and the foam ones that go under speakers).

They arrived yesterday and helped, but didn't fix the rattles. I think the rattling may be coming from contact between pieces of equipment in the rack (almost a buzz on some pitches).

I haven't taken the rack apart yet (tonight's project), because when I do, I'm thinking of putting something (?) between the tops/bottoms of the units to isolate them from each other.

Any suggestions on what to use for this or how else to troubleshoot?

What's in the rack:
    Furman power strip
    Eden Navigator Preamp
    Aphex 204 exciter

This rack sits on a separate 2 space rack that holds a QSC 1602. I split the power amp off into its own rack because I take just the equipment rack to church for gigs there.

Thanks in advance for any/all quick suggestions so I can buy what I need on the way home this evening.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What type are the racks themselves? Verify that the latches are on the lids and not the rack itself, that's always a no-no with bass rigs.

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I get some rattles w/ my rack also. my latches are on the rack not the lid. I didnt know they made racks w/ the latches on the lids. Which ones? Does Gator make one? Or is there a way to make the latches not rattle?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My 6 space SKB non-roto have latches on the lids. Most ata-type types can be ordered with latches on the lids, and most shock racks already have them on the lids as standard.

5. My Gator has the latches on the lid

6. zippydog

zippydog

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    thanks!

The racks are Grundorf "Mighty Lights" carpeted racks and the latches ARE on the racks. Wish I had considered that before I bought them. :rollno:

I tried isolating the latches by holding them down and it didn't seem they were the cause. Last night, I had my ear right in front of the rack and it seemed to be coming from inside the rack.

I'll tape down the latches and test again tonight to be sure, but I think there's more trouble inside the rack.

I'm wondering about some sort of thin rubber or foam sheet (think thin mouse pad) that I can slip between the units. Maybe just rubber gaskets? Anybody tried any of this?

7. zippydog

zippydog

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    try duct taping them in place when you set up.

8. zippydog

zippydog

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    Allright.

I took the rack apart tonight and found that my pre-owned Eden Navigator was missing two screws on the bottom, causing the board inside to be loose enough to rattle.

Found two screws (not a match, but did the job) and put them in, then re-racked the gear with felt pads between each unit.

That did it- couldn't tease out a rattle no matter how hard I tried (thanks in no small part to the Auralex Gramma, me thinks).

By the way, rack latches continue to NOT be a source of noise or rattling. Good news for folks considering Grundorf Mighty Light racks.

9. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Good job Zippydog!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021