Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me tame my mids!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirtrider, Aug 5, 2005.

1. So I'm having a bit of trouble getting my rig to not honk so much. I'm running an AG500 into a GS410 with a P Bass. As you can see, all mids. The High and Low mids don't seem to make a difference when cut. I'm running the tweeter off and I'm still experiencing some honkyness. Is there something I'm missing? Any ideas or solutions to calm this midrange beast down? I like the tone of the amp, but I could use a little less in your face midness.

TIA

2. Sounds like a P-bass and a 4x10 isn't for you. I am surprised the 800hz filter isn't getting the job done. I would experiment with strings. I recommend DR Low Rider Stainless.

3. Yes. I was going to look into some different strings. Actually, the P Bass and 410 works for me. I like the overall tone I'm getting from this setup, I'm just looking for a little more control. Thanks.

4. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Try bleeding a little of the tweeter in. This will "open" up the high mids a bit and perhaps your ears won't focus so much on the mids (?).
    When i play fretless gigs, I turn the tweeter way down ( some manufacturers caution against turning it completely off...heat build up or something...I'm no tech) and I get a nice mid tone for bridge pickup work. Without changing amp or bass setting, I find that introducing more tweeter lessens the mid emphasis, giving a softer, almost "scooped" sound. Good luck.