Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me to choose a 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by larrytron, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Hey!
    I've a GK700rb with a marshall410.
    i want a smaller rig cause the marshall is bloody heavy and it provides too much bottom end when played at low volumes( bars, small gigs...).
    so i'm looking for a 112 that has a lot of power(i may need it) but also, which is the most important, a huge amount of mids, to cut trough easily.
    The Aggie Gs112 looks good and it's cheap.But i don't know if it has a lot of mids...
    Other ideas?

thanks.

larry:bassist:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I really enjoyed my BagEnd S12. If I buy a new 112 I'm narrowed to another BagEnd, the Bergantino or the new GenzBenz.

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Epifani T-112's. The mids they produce are hi-fi and they can cut through nicely in the mix.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Euphonic Audio CXL-112.
    Check out the specs at http://www.euphonicaudio.com

Great clear transparent sound. I run mine with an iAmp 600 or a Mesa Walkabout. The sound of my bass and amp come out crystal clear, with a lot of solid fundamentals.

LM

6. I guess my choice will be tough!!!
    After several answers, no one of you have the same choice of cab.
    Do they all handle the low B?

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Best of those for low B:

EA CxL-112
    Epifany T112

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I play a five string in a rock/nu-metal, clasic rock and country band with bergantino 112s. Works great!

9. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    FWIW, I think the Aggies will have more pronounced mids than the cab that you are playing through now. The Aggies are a little mid-shy. But, with the right EQ setting, any desirable EQ can be attained. The Aggies are also a liitle lighter on the wallet than the Berg's or the Epi's. If you got cash to spare, go with the Berg's or Epi's. Otherwise, try the Aggie's out. I think you would be surprised.

PS My Aggie's have no problem handling my low B. I use a Demeter-QSC PLX-1602-Lakland set-up, if that helps.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my choices!

the Epi's much more cutting, but the EA just slams you in the gut. so punchie, it's illegal.

and dont be afraid to kick up the upper mids or be a little aggressive with the EQ.

:bassist:

11. I'll try the Aggie. that's the only one i can find in Paris, compared to Epi's n' Bergi's...
    So if I have to make a "blind buy" i really want to be sure it will fit my needs.

Does anyone of you have tried the EBS NEO112?

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll second the suggestions for the Epifani T-112 and the EA CxL-112. Both are killer cabs, but each has a very different voicing, so check them out if possible (which it sounds like it might not be). Other good options might be Bergantino or the Accugroove Tri 112. If you are looking for a 4 ohm cab, and don't do a lot of super-zingy slap pop, the tweeterless EA Wizzy cab is outstanding. It can really cut through a mix, as well.

Good luck, Tom.

13. How much do you spend in the US for a Epi T112?
    Because the only Epi's place I found in Europe is in Germany (Musik Productiv) and they are quite expensive $985 or so. I'm not kidding!!!
    That makes toomuch for a simple 112 cab if they are really cheaper in the US I'll try to get one overseas, or a used one if it's worthy...

larry

14. EBS NEO112

Lotsa Powers
    Lotsa Freq Range
    Lotsa Warmth
    Lotsa throw
    Lotsa burst ear drums...

Nuff Said..

:cool:

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think that you can get them for around $700.00 or so. PM Gard at Bass Central.

Tom.

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tech Soundsystems makes great powerful and light 12 cabs with or w/out neodymium speakers.

www.tech-soundsystems.de

17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The CXL112 is a great cab. It can handle a ton of power, and will produce a low B easily.

18. The CXL is interesting!!!Very interesting.
    But it's a wallet killer compares to the others...

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Again, if you can swing a US purchase, check with Gard. He can get you a very good price on the CxL-112.

Tom.

20. I'll PM him, but before doing that,I prefer to check what I can find in France or Europe.
    Customs are hungry in France...:D