Help me to identify this Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papersen, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve been offered a Fender Prodigy
    I still hadn`t chance to see the bass, but the seller
    tells me it`s made in the USA, has P+J configuration
    and active electronics. Comes with HSC.

I`ve checked several sites (including Harmony Central) and doesn`t seem to be much info about it.

Does anybody have some data about this instrument ?

2. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Found this on Harmony Central, in the guitar section. It was the first thing that came up when I searched "Fender Prodigy Bass" on Google.

Price Paid: US $200

Features: 7
    Fender didn't make the Prodigy 4-string Bass for too long, but I'd guess mine is a '92 (it was new when I bought it then). It has 22 frets, metallic blue enamel finish, active p and j pickups with volume/pan and treble/bass knobs, maple neck with rosewood fretboard, jazz body shape.

Sound: 8
    I play mostly groove and blues, but I dabble in slap/pop, tapping, staccatto muting... This bass can handle it all! What a beautiful tone! It can be swept from a huge, warm ambient tone to a bright, punchy attack. I can't say enough about how marvelous this bass sounds, considering it has very generic active equipment.

I've never used this bass for recording (I have a Pedulla Thunderbass II 5-String for that), but I bet it would sound really sweet.

Action, Fit, & Finish: 7
    The initial setup of this thing was pretty bad. The strings were inches off the neck (or so it seemed), and the intonation was unbearable. But half an hour of tuning later, and this thing couldn't get any better. Perfect neck, super low and tight action, no fret buzz.

Reliability/Durability: 7
    This is a great bass for live playing. Super dynamic range and versatility, and a great price.

The finish has worn down a bit, but I used to wear a ring on my thumb (dumb me), and it scratched the hell out of the finish near the pickups.

The casings for the pickups broke in the first year. But then again, I lent this baby to a friend who was playing a frat party, and he got pretty wasted and threw my bass at the crowd...

Customer Support: N/A

Overall Rating: N/A
    I've been playing for about 10 years. I have a Pedulla, and I play through Carvin amps and cabs. This bass doesn't compare to the Pedulla, but for the money, I'd by 10.
  3. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    From what I've heard theres 3 different versions of the Prodigy (the I, II, and III) each one had some different features, I believe its the III thats neck-thru. Anyways I've never gotten the chance to play one but I hear they're great basses. Troy Sanders from Mastodon uses one as his main axe if I remember correctly.
  4. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
  5. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the info.
    I`ll probably check it out today.
    The guy is asking what I consider a reasonable price.
    I consider it fair since prices here are usually almost double than in the US.
  6. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, I finally bought the bass. I`ll use for some gigs and
    recordings. I`ll decide then if I`ll keep it or not.
    Needs new strings and a setup, but stills sounds ok.

It can dial a wide variety of tones, from a traditional jazz to a beefy P bass sound. Looks like some hibrid model from Fender.
    Has 2 big concentric knobs vol/tone/bass/treble and a 9V active circuit. It`s a 1991 MIA model.
    I`ll try to post some pics later and a deeper review.
    Thanks for the help guys.
  7. Pretty cool bass. Nice price! The only thing about these "modern" Fender basses is that their resale value isn't anything special compared to the standard, passive P or J. But if you've got a keeper, who cares anyways?
  8. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, this is the bass.
    Thanks everyone for the helpful info.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey...that's not bad looking!
  10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Troy Sanders' Prodigy is actually a Series II or III, as it has a 2+2 headstock.

The Prodigy Ser. I is pretty good from what I hear. My neighbor had one for a while, till his apartment burnt down.