Help me to identify this Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papersen, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve just found this Warwick.

First of all, I don´t know if it´s a real one
    or just another crappy copy.
    I´ve been searching Warwick site, but this model (Streamer Jazz Bass) seems inexistant. Besides, I´ve never heard the wood "Carolena" on Warwick basses.
    The price U$S 399 is really tempting me, but I´m not an Warwick expert so any input will be helpful.

2. I could be wrong, I'm not an expert, but this appears to be a Warwick neck bolted on to a homemade body. The bridge and strap buttons aren't what I've seen on Warwicks. The input jack is at the wrong place, Warwick puts the jack to the side not on the face of the body.

Do not buy this--unless somebody else on this forum can give more info that I'm not aware of.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warwick Rockbass streamer with a body that was stripped of the original paintjob. (and a different neck from another warwick)

Streamer STD which IS a bolt on model, i just forget which bridge it has so i cant comment for sure.

Might be what its said to be though. The Streamer STD model is the budget version of the bass, i just dont remember the body looking like that wood.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Streamer STD that I played before buying my Vette had that one piece bridge, opposed to the traditional two piece Warwick bridge. I am pretty sure they evolved into the Rockbass line. Though, those older models feature more "exotic" woods than the modern maple necked Rockbasses. I believe they were made in Korea. But I could be wrong.

That model bass was also the only Warwick I have played that I seriously disliked everything about it (B string defined flabby, bad tone, and I believe it's neck was different from the average Warwick bolt on)*.

I would definitely play one before you spend your money.

*can't remember if it was thicker or thinner, but I found the chunky neck of my Vette much more comfortable.
  5. You are indeed wrong, I'm afraid.;) They were made in Germany.
    And the bass above is indeed a dual pickup Streamer Standard. No doubt about it. But, I think the seller claims it to have active pickups, and IIRC they're passive.
    Underrated basses BTW.
  6. Think this bass is not the deal of the year!
    Something seems to be wrong for me!
    Bad feelings about it...

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The seller is a looser, those who can read and uderstand spanish will realize that too, he calls it jazzbass,desnt even knows wich model is it aside from the general name of the model "streamer", the body doesnt seems to be caroleena cos it has a pink-to-chocolate color and that looks like some kind of maple ar other light color wood, and i also think that the middle part was sandened to meke it look like a neck-through model.
  8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  9. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks everybody for the helpful input.

Something still is not "smelling good" for me in that ad.
    I mean, If I were a Warwick owner, I´d know at least the
    exact model (I guess there´s no such Streamer Jazz).
    Besides, the guy is a recently registered member.

I have no chance to play that bass myself, since his town is almost 1700 km away from mine.

OTOH the bridge looks original and so does the headstock and pickups.
    However the body is still intriguing me. I can´t find that wood anywhere.

BTW, I´ve emailed Warwick to see their veredict.
  10. It's a MIG Streamer STD that has apparently had the finish stripped. The seller calls it a jazz because of the 2 pickups having been referred to as "jazz" by many players over the years. If it's in decent shape, it might be worth the bucks.
  11. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, I´ve just received an answer from the guys from Warwick.
    This is the answer:

Dear Papersen,

this is a Streamer Standard, meanwhile out of production as a Warwick, we do offer
    this model still under the Rockbass brand.

Thanks for your interest, and best regards

Warwick GmbH & Co. Musik Equipment KG
    Warwick Music Equipment Trading (Shanghai) Ltd.,Co.
    Warwick Music Equipment Trading (Manchester UK) Ltd., Co
    Warwick Music Equipment Trading (Zurich) GmbH

Stefen Manz
    Product Development and Quality Manager
    Markneukirchen Germany, 16.08.04 08:50