Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me! (tone problem)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmaki, Feb 23, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    i need help finding a tone i like that will work in a band setting. all the tones i maticulously work to get for alone get completely lost at practice with the 2 guitarists, and we don't have a drummer yet. i've only played with them a couple times and the songs they've written are towards the pop-punk variety of continual distortion and lots of highs. you can feel my lows but the rest gets lost. i dont like using a pick very much but unless i use one i cant hear myself over them. what would you guys suggest?

i have an eden nemesis 2x10 and an Ibanez GSR 200 with EMG's. i'm looking for a kinda low-mid growl with good lows but not too harsh of a high end and i've been driving myself nuts trying to get it.

thanks!
    dave

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Sometimes it's just a sad fact of life that the killer tone you get from your amp when playing alone doesn't always translate well when playing with others. Try boosting the mids around the 600-800Hz area, cut the lows a bit and add a bit of high end. This should help in cutting through in the band situation. The 'smiley' face on the graphic EQ sounds great when playing alone, but I find that turning it upside down on a gig works best for me. Funny thing is, when I go out into the audience, (gotta love being wireless!!!), my bass sounds huge!

Try it on for size, and good luck!

-robert

3. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    rllefebv We need to talk! so here goes. DO you have a 5-string. If so you must tell me what wireless you have and how much it cost. Because my friends Sampson UHF wireless can't even handle the frequencys of my 4 without fuzzing out on the low E. I've been looking at wireless' but haven't found a bass specific one yet. Please indulge me!