Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me train a dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So, we've got a dog, and it sucks. It's housebroken... sometimes. It pooped outside about two hours ago, then I took her on a walk, and 2 minutes after getting home, jumps on the couch and poop ahoy!

Plus she barks her ass off at everything. If she hears someone in the distance, if someone walks by her, if we are driving in a car and she sees someone. It's really annoying, considering we aren't suppose to have a dog at these apartments.

My girlfriend won't let me get rid of her (even though she was my Christmas gift or something). She's almost a year old, and I don't want her to get too old before she learns some new tricks, like shutting the hell up and going outside.

Advice?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I think that betters with the years, my uncle had several young dogs, and the first years they are very energetic, but the older they get, the quieter they become.

What kind of dog is it? Some dogs never cool down, while others are rather quiet from the beginning.

Can't help you with the poop problem, I'd punish the dog if he poops on your couch. Let him feel it is wrong what he is doing, and maybe reward him when he waits 'till you take him for a walk.

But, I'm not a dog owner, so I might be horribly wrong, I'm more of a cat-man myself, dogs are too noisy :D

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You should've let the dog try to go after the walk, as well. Something about walks stirs it up in dogs.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    If you can afford it, obedience school for your pup is money well spent. If you can't afford that, you could probably find plenty of good books at the public library on how to train your dog yourself.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Matt, now is the time to be hitting obedience hard. Getting close to a year they are at an adolescent time when they will really challange you and push the boundaries. I think obedience school is a good idea and while you're there talk to the trainer about how to stop the barking and the pooping. They should not still be going in the house like that at close to a year old. At the very least go to the library and get a book on dog training. Get a system and STICK TO IT.

brad cook

6. ((ZASDER))

((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    Dogs are like babies when they are younger...They try to take over and become the master!

Show her whos boss!

My dog when he was younger(beagle) Whenveer he got something that he wasnt supposed to have..like a shoe, cloths, Toilet paper. Hee would run behind the sofa and if anyone came near he would make this disgusting wolf face and try to bit you. After eveyr time he did this we took the thing away and stuck him in his crate for a good nap in a corner with no human contact. After about 6 months of this training I dont think hes a stolen a single thing.

7. Give it a chance to do the deed after the walk (even if it has already gone) and give him treats after each poop outside as well as happy noise and priase. they love this...works magic.
    they operate on a food/poop/play/sleep basis, you gotta work with that.

8. if you're going to obedience school, make sure you are going to be doing the trianing. no point in someone training your dog, when in reality, he wont behave for you.

pick up some books. when the dog barks, stop, lift him by the neck and shout "NO!" firmly. You need a word that lets him know he's been bad. reward him for doing the toilet outside the house. if he does go inside, lift him up and put him outside, so he knows thats where it shouldve landed.

be strict. if he is bad, ignore him. it sounds harsh. but it works. im glad i was a "meany" parent. :)

9. I would never advocate beating a dog. But, they understand primal stuff, you've got to be the alpha mofo so they know what's up. we use a plastic bottle full of rocks, makes a hell of a noise and they know they are bad when the bottle of rocks comes out - if they are really bad (like charging someone) they get a whack with the bottle, usually the sound is more than enough.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For the first time in my 33 year life, I own no animals. After our last dog died a few months ago, we agreed to not get any more animals. It is a nice feeling.

I agree with blip...beating is not a good idea. Striking an animal from a position of authority is effective. Wailing away on an animal to make your point is not going to be effective.

-Mike

11. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is why I like cats. They're more like roommates.

12. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    first off, do not try to punish your dog for pooping on the couch, dogs don't understand things the way people do. If anything your dog will try to find a place to go poop that you are not at, that will be the result of punishment. Have you ever considered crate training? I train all my dogs using this method and have found it to be most effective for me. Your dog needs a structured shedule and using a crate is an excellent way to do this. for instance, when you confine your dog to an area where they sleep and eat, they will not poop in such a place. When your dog is crated for long periods of time they will resist the urge to poop and pee until you let them out. When you take them out of the crate, take them to the most desired location ( on a leash) and give them a command word to poop. If they poop you shower them with praise and continue to repeat the same routine for days on end. Eventually they will go on command and develop a habit of only pooping in certain places. There is alot more to it than that, but it's just an example. I am by no means an expert, but my dogs used to drive me nuts and I learned how to do this from a friend. There is a ton of information on the net about crate training and I would highly recommend it.

13. some people are just not dog people! I don't think i will ever own a dog! (i have an actual fear of big dogs, and little yappy ones are annoying)

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I took her for a walk last night, for some reason the only place she will poop at if I'm walking her is in front of the campus police station. Good doggie. :D What a bastard.

She's a mix of a Chow and terrier (Whatever benjii was) and since it was an odd mix, she became a generic looking dog, she looks like a lab puppy, but she isn't.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My advice? Grow the heck up.

A dog is a living, sentient creature. I'm terribly sorry that his/her existence is disturbing your oh-so-difficult life. If this is your attitude toward young, living creatures, I suggest you neuter yourself now.

16. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Positive reinforcement. Do it correctly and you'll get what you want. read b.f. skinner for an intro to behaviorism, look up behavior analysis for more contemporary theory and methodology.

in short, anything your dog does, and is observable/quantifiable, is a behavior. behaviors depend entirely upon their consequences. if the function of a behavior is, for example, to gain your attention, and, upon intiating this behavior the dog gains your attention, it will repeat the behavior ad nauseum, as it receives the consequence it was seeking. Likewise, failing to receive the desired consequence will see the behavior extinguished. Planned ignoring is a most effective means of extinguishing attention-getting behaviors.

if your dog is consequated positively for voiding/defecating outdoors, it will repeat this behavior, as it receives something it wants: i.e., a tasty treat, attention, etc. punishment, particularly with animals lacking the cognitive functioning of a human being, is unethical and irrelevant to changing behavior.

reinforce the good stuff, ignore the bad, consequate positively those behaviors you'd like to see repeated, and you'll be fine. determine the function of those maladaptive behaviors, and your're on the right path. dogs usually defecate indoors because they either are not provided with ample opportunity to go outdoors, or because they are seeking your attention in a maladaptive manner. don't rule out medical concerns without going to the vet, the dog could have bowel/bladder problems causing the behavior.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Thanks.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1

a majority of dog training is training the OWNER how to control a dog.

a majority of failure in dog training is setting inconsistant boundries and not following through with things

oh and crapping on things of the owners is generally spite or dominance.

I worked in a shelter for a long while and I'm also a Certified Master Groomer (no real money in it so I only groom a few pets for family and friends)... I can usually 'correct' the worst / most headstrong dog in a few short sessions.

Matt, get yourself a couple books... the Monk books or "Dogs for dummies" (don't laugh, it's a great book). Start from scratch and be consistant. Be the Top Dog :bassist:

19. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    Dog training doesn't end after a short period of time, it starts from when you have the pup, till it leaves you. All you can be is the best owner/father it could wish for.
    Take care - pictures? :)

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For everyones information, I just wanted a little advice about these two topics. When I posted, I was pissed off. I don't beat my dog, I don't scream at my dog, etc. She's learning about going outside, but her barking is becoming a real problem. We aren't suppose to have a dog at our apartment (that's why I don't know why my girlfriend brought a puppy in), and she honestly barks if someone is walking down the street and they are talking and she is inside/can't see them. She's overprotective and we try to scold her when she barks, she doesn't learn. And I know dog psycology is if you are yelling, you are barking so don't yell. I just pull her really close/shorten the leash, and say calmly "stop" but she just sits their and growls. And she isn't learning to stop doing that.