1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me understand MusicMan Basse

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bachh, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Bachh

Bachh

Apr 8, 2014
    I see a lot of stingrays with a lot different features.
    Some MM SR4H have a 3-way-blade switch, some don't.
    Some MM SR5H have black pickups, some have white ones.

I have my eye on a musicman stingray 5H honeyburst, but the white pickup makes itaesthetically unpleasing, white on white and all.

I want an MM SR5H/SR4H honeyburst with a white pickguard and a black pickup + 3 way blade. Does this bass even exist?

2. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    white PU on white PG is gorgeous.
    yes that combo exists

D. Gallis likes this.
  3. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    You may to buy one with a black pickup and black pickguard, then buy a white pickguard to replace the black. No big deal. They have some black pickup with white pickguard combos but you see more of the same color combinations. To my knowledge, there is no SR4H with the 3-way switch. You might have seen a 4HH, 4HS or Sterling 4H all which do have the switch.

4. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Or a Musicman Sterling. I think it has a 3-way switch.

5. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    The EBMM Stingray 5H has the 3-way selector while the 4-string doesn't. If you want that feature on a 4H, it would be the EBMM Sterling model (not to be confused with the series 'Sterling by Musicman'). Not sure about the pickup/guard combos but should be available.

6. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    If you are buying new, from the factory through a dealer, you should easily be able to ask for your specs to happen.
    Floor models or second hand probably quite a bit harder to find.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The Stingray 4-string H does NOT have a 3-way switch. The Stingray5 H does have a 3-way switch. There is also a Musicman bass called the Sterling which shares an electronics package with the Stingray5 H and, thus, also has a 3-way switch on the single-humbucker models. If you want the 3-way switch on a 4-string model, you want a Sterling H.

8. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
  9. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Bass

10. A regular SR5 comes with either a white scratch plate and white pick up cover and chrome knobs and blade switch tip or a black with black and black knobs and blade switch. As the pick up covers are glued in you can't change them. Not sure if you can on the Classic 5 - you certainly can buy white or black pick up covers for the SR4.

I changed my plate, knobs and switch tip on my SR5 natural finish from black fittings - all supplied by EBMM - I think it looks fine. It's a bit tricky to change the guard as the electronics and switches are all pick guard loaded on the SR5.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405262325.966504.

Tbone76 likes this.