Help me understand

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm sick of the news people flying over these stranded hurricane victims in their damn helicopters, but not picking them up! Seriously, you can use these people for your damned ratings, but you can't help?! I just watched a woman collapse on camera whilst the newsmorons stood around filming it! :mad: They hovered overhead while this girl swam from one rooftop to another, but it never occurred to them to drop a basket, or atleast be equipped with one?! They can chopper in and out of the area, but they can't take any of these elderly people and babies to safety?! They can't atleast fly in with supplies when they go in to exploit these people? And another thing, I've seen 4 stories on white victims finding food and other supplies in damaged stores, and they were called survival stories, but the blacks are looting! What's the diff?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I may be wrong on this but most of these news helicopters are quite small and flimsy and not designed for the extra load of picking up a passenger with a basket.

But what you said about whites surviving and blacks looting is damn sad.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Woody! No difference in my eyes.... but man the media all need to be pitted against each other in a death match of some sort :spit:

I don't have TV and haven't forever.... I was at the mechanics getting tires today watching fox news in the waiting area :meh: some Yuppie white news guy was parading Arthel Neville around the flood area to watch her react to her old home turf... I was insulted.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    it's true. news helicopters aren't designed to carry more than the minimal load
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I'm sure baby formula or medicine wouldn't be too much of a burden, or would it?
  6. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    I agree with the news choppers Woodchuck. They could be dropping off supplies.
    As for looters versus survivors. I think it is more of people getting food and water from stores, as opposed to jewelry and clothes.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    maybe there is not a stable enough place to land that would enable the people to get the supplies..

im not trying to argue with you... i really don't know... i havn't been watching tv so i don't even know what it looks down there.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    And why do you think that?
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The person they arrested was grabbing bottled water.
  10. You've got to be kidding me? That's amazing. They should lock up the person that arrested them. There's no clean water, no salespeople, what are people supposed to do? Sit outside the stores and drink contaminated floodwater until the stores open up?

11. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    They have to be careful. There are SO MANY in *desperate* need... and if they started tossing out a few supplies, they could cause a stampede, and people could actually get *hurt* in the fighting for the few supplies they hand out, or fighting for their loved one to be the one taken out.

I hear 'ya, Woodchuck, but that job is best left to the rescue personnel.

As for looting, I don't care what color you are.... if you take life-sustaining items in this situation, IMHO, you are blameless..... if you take jewelry, televisions or stereo equipment, you're looting....
  12. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Are you serious? I havent seen that story, that is just dispicable. What the hell do they expect these people to do?

What I dont understand is how we dont have more troops down there already. I am not going to make this a political thread, just wondering what is taking so long to secure that city so they can get the help they need.

P.S. Do you guys think N.O. can be saved? I love that city, I keep flashing back to my vacation there in January and cant believe it is in the chaos it is now. Truely heartbreaking.
  13. spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Well, there is a war going on....
  14. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    As I said, I am not going to make this a political thread.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    One of the tenets of journalism is that you (ideally) do nothing more than tell the story the way you see it. Sometimes that means walking a fine line between showing the news and becoming the news.

People in the media are employees of private corporations, not doctors or members of Amnesty International or the Red Cross. They're not trained to do any more than what you see them do and there have been occasions where reporters have gone beyond the call of duty only to find themselves in deep trouble, including running the risk of litigation and jailtime, if not death.

I'm not saying it's not complicated and imperfect, but journalism is a tricky business sometimes. At least they brought you the story...

Don't get me started on the "surviving" vs. "looting" thing. You should start a thread about that in the Lobby.

Oh, wait...
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Man, that hasn't happened in oh, about 8 years! :D :bag:
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes you're right - helicopters have to be much more powerful and seriously modified to be able to do rescue work or anything like that.

I live on the South Coast of England and there have always been campaigns about having more sea rescue helicopters - but they are incredibly expensive - whereas just about every local radio station has its own helicopter to monitor traffic!!
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This whole situation and the lack of Government support DISGUSTING!!!! I'm ashamed to be an American. :crying:
  19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It takes a lot of work to move thousands of military folks, their gear and supplies from one spot to another. Especially in unplanned things like this.

Take my base.

a) Day 1: The call for help goes from our Admiral who then passes it on to his AOR (the whole southwestern coast of the US including Nevada) which includes our base in San Diego. We have to provide X amount of bodies. The CO, the XO and the Dept Hds work out the number breakdown based on each department's size erstwhile keeping in mind that they still have a base to run. Security, maintenance, supply, admin and daily operations cannot take a big hit in effectivity in the process of providing bodies. Our mission is priority 1.

b) Day 1 and maybe 2 The DHs bring the numbers back to their folks. DH and senior enlisted (the Chiefs) look at the list and make their recommendations erstwhile keeping in mind that our mission is priority 1.

c) The sailors are volunTOLD that they are going. They are given two to three days leave to get their affairs in order (wills, powers of attorney, stopping utility services to their house, setting up automatic payments for bills in case they get cut off from commerce, ensuring that the family will be provided for while they are gone. This is especially painful for single parents.)

d) Day 3 Supply and admin work on getting the sailors, their gear and their supplies to wherever it is they are needed. Everybody runs out and acquires the gear.

e) Day 4 Load em up and wait for the sailors to come back from leave.

The mayor of N.O. is showing piss poor leadership. You don't try to blame someone else for what happened to your city. You are the mayor, you are ULTIMATELY responsible for what happens to your constituents. It just comes with the job.

For one thing, you should have asked for buses before the hurricane struck not after. I saw pics of dozens of school buses abandoned in a submerged parking lot.

I hope the mods don't view this as political. I am just pointing out leadership failures which can happen in the civilian sector as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.