help me upgrade my gear!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Huffer777, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Huffer777

Huffer777

Jul 19, 2008
    I have a 1000 dollar fender precision
    And a 200 dollar 35 watt peavy amp.

How do I even the gap without busting my budget?:help:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Used market. Down economy, bargains to be had.

3. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    either start reading threads or give some more info on budget, what kind of sound you're wanting to achieve, how loud you'd like it to get, etc etc etc.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like you need an amp, so shop away.

5. Huffer777

Huffer777

Jul 19, 2008
    Very true, but i dont know exactly what im looking for.

Can do, but just in case anyone else reads this thread im looking for about a 450 dollar budget, and just trying to get the full sound quality out of my fender.

6. Not enough information...

What kind of music?
    Band?
    skill level?
    is weight an issue?
    how loud?
    how much $$$ do you want to spend
    Do you hear a style you like and want to emulate?
    and on and on and on...

7. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    IME/IMO 450 will significantly improve your amplification situation but won't get you the "full sound quality" from your Fender.

in that price range I would look into maybe a GK Backline 600 head and Avatar cabs on the used market.

Scrape together about $1k to spend on used amplification and you will be a very happy dude. There's a lot of quality and a ton of options in this higher price range.

8. +1 to what JimmyM said. I have no idea what your budget is ... but there are some things that you would want more than other things. Do you care how heavy your rig is? What kind of music do you play? Where do you live? Do you want classic sound or hi-fi? What size venues do you play, or are you planning to play? If you play large shows are you always going to have PA?

Some places to start with total value + dependability in mind are ... used peavey rigs, or Carvin heads and Avatar cabs. Others also like Acoustic, and Hartke.

If you don't care so much about bang for your buck, but are just looking to get a killer rig. My advice is go down to a GC and try everything there. Some companies that have good reputations (in no particular order) are: Pre-LOUD Ampeg, Mesa-Boogie, Gallien-Krueger, Fender/SUNN, Genz-Benz, MarkBass, Eden, Aguilar, Epifani, Accugroove, Bagend, Bergantino, Crown, Crest, Qsc, Et. Al.

Each of these companies have their followers and each has their niche in the market. Some go for light weight, some dispense with heads and power the cabs themselves, some make power amps that need pre-amps, and others try to do a few different things (to various degrees of success). I know I missed many companies, some great other not so much, but I am just trying to help you in finding a place to start.

My advice to you ... Do a LOT of research, find the things that interest you, find sound clips, try them if at all possible, and get what matches the sound you hear in your head. Even after all of this, you can drastically change your sound just by getting different strings (flats Vs. Rounds for example), changing your pick-up, adding effects or any other number of things. :)

Welcome to the land of Lowdom, enjoy your stay! For many this is a life long journey that is full of rewards all along the way towards learning how you can best express yourself through your chosen instrument. Cheers.

9. Huffer777

Huffer777

Jul 19, 2008
    Okay answered a few of those, appreciate the help so far, especially from kosmicwizard, very good advice, thank you.

If i am still not providing enough information ill do more research and try to get more information to provide before asking for help.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021