1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me verifying the originality of this vintage mustang bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PelaBAss, Jan 16, 2012.

1. PelaBAss

PelaBAss

Jan 16, 2012
  2. [​IMG]

I think it looks like a refin. The pick guard has shrunk a few mm which is a fair sign of it's authenticity. The White PG should be on red. I believe they came in 3 patriotic colours in the 60's Red White & Blue. Not entirely sure but if it was the Lake Placid Blue I think the headstock would match.

3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Can you see in the neck pocket if there is any color left? I just sold an original '66 re-fin for 750$. Seems like Mustangs have been hit the hardest by the decline in vintage prices. I just bought a MIJ for 425$ shipped.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the mustang bass was introduced in 1966, which came in dakota red, olympic white and daphne blue. your's appears to be all an original '66 or '67 with the exception of the white finish. the reason that i say that is because your's is completely painted in the neck pocket, and has a bit more orangepeel than a stock finish would have. there's also white paint of the bridge's ground wire and the wiring looks to have been cut, spliced and taped:

[​IMG]

the white ones almost always came with a tortoise shell guard and white pearloid on the red and blue ones.

your's has a slab body which puts it prior to '69 (when they contoured the body with a tummy cut and forearm relief). they also introduced candy red , three tone sunburst and lake placid blue finishes in '69 and all of them had pearloid guards.

your pot date codes show that they are 1966, but fender bought alot of CTS pots and IIRC, '66 pots could still be found in their instrument all the way up to 1970.

5. PelaBAss

PelaBAss

Jan 16, 2012
    thank you !

6. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    I agree with JohnK's assessment. The instrument is almost certainly late 1966 or 1967. The very earliest mustangs had different headstock decals. (Either a plain "Fender" logo, and later one that said "Mustang Bass" with BASS in a different font.)

And it does appear to be refinned.

Question : were there any 68s with the contours? I've seen a few conflicting sources on this. (Gruhn says one thing, Black another, IIRC.)

GT

7. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    As far as I know, matching headstock would've been only on the competition models.

GT

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've never seen a '68 with a contoured body, and every 69 that i've ever seen did have one, but of course that is to say that with fender anything is possible. (it's also one of the big reasons that my favorite ones are from '69- '72).

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yup.

10. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Thank you John - it's great to have someone of your experience about!

I like the contours too, but got used to the slab after a bit.

One final question : did competition mustangs come out in 68 or 69? I ask because I've seen a few claiming to be 1968, but I've never seen a non-contoured competition model.

GT

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    as far as i know, the competitions came out in '69, and they were all contoured. they weren't in the '68 catalogue:

[​IMG]

but they were in the one from '69:

fenderBass69p4.