Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP ME w/ research paper on jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FLOYDtheBARBER, May 8, 2003.

1. i'm doing my research paper on jazz and its significance to America and American culture.
    i broke it down in to parts; each part describes a characteristic of jazz, shows how it developed, then why it is significant. i have five of these parts so far:
    1-jazz's stressing of individuality while remaining part of a group or ensemble
    2-mainly played and created by black americans
    3-vocal instrumentation
    4-emphasis on rhythm, percussiveness
    5-mutual influence from African and European music

i need help showing the emphasis on rhythm in jazz. any other suggestions on showing any of my other five traits would be helpful too.
    thanks.

also, i have to turn this in on monday, but this weekend is gonna be busy (motorhead show, brother's b-day, mother's day) so i have to finish today!!!

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Somehow, I feel if we help you, we aren't doing you any favor. You will benefit more by researching the topic on your own and immersing yourself in the available literature on the topic. Not that I don't want to, but you'll learn more if you take big bites out of this apple yourself.
    ;)

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    And if you start before 3 days before the thing is due.

I took two weeks to write my paper, and I got an A. A research paper isn't something that can be thrown together at the last minute.

And a motorhead concert needs to take a back seat to such a major part of your grade.

4. actually, guys, i'm already on page 5. i know what i'm gonna write for the rest of it, too; i did @$$-loads of research. i just needed a little help on showing the part about emphasizing rhthym.

nevermind.

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, in that case, (next time say how much progress you have done so far)....

Do a search online, on like google, and a search here on TB if you haven't already. Go to google and search for "jazz rhythm" and see what you get.

6. i'm not sure how i'm going to show w/ concrete evidence that rhthym is emphasized in jazz. like, i dunno how i'm gonna write about it. i already have the first three of my 5 points typed; i think i'm gonna skip to number 5(mutual african and european influence) and come back to rhythm later.

is there a site anywhere that tells the MLA format of how to put a website in a bibliography?

7. Thor

There is an example here.

:cool:

You may have RH as a subcategory of #2,
    or you could incorporate it in the African component of #5 without really damaging your concept.

8. yeah...but that example is for an online dictionary; not a website. :( i'll have to find my MLA handbook in school tomorrow... hopefully it's in there.

it's hard to concentrate on my paper. i've got WAY too much junk on my mind (bad developments on the subject of that thread i made in OT a while ago:( )

oh well.... i'll figure something out.

9. Thor

Look at MLA Style here.

Hope that helps. :cool:

10. yep, that'll do it.:) thanks!

11. WOO-HOO! I just finished with the paper. i incorporated some of the stuff about #4 with the #5 part, and all in all i think it came out okay. anyone want do me a favor and give me a critique? i can shoot you an e-mail with it.

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Most definitely! Shoot it over to me atsuper_tubaman@hotmail.com That is also my MSN messenger, or if you have AIM, its tubabassboy. I'd love to read it!

13. youve got mail.

14. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yup, just got it. Do you want me to make corrections to any grammer/syntax errors? I will put then in a different color so you can see what I changed, if you want me to.

15. whatever you think needs correcting, go for it, man. i probably need all the help i can get:D

16. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thats a good paper. Very informative to those who don't know. I like it. Once you add in the parenthetical notation, it will all be good :cool:

17. cool, thanks. i'm doing the documentation now. hopefully my teacher likes it as much as you did.:)

18. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Remember when you didn't help me with mine?

Yeah. I remember that too.

:cool:

19. Hey nick? Just curious.....how familiar are you with the legal framework of business? :D :meh:

20. hey; i helped you. remember?

no i didn't:p
    i aren't smrat.