1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help me!! whats wrong with my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boamedt, Apr 24, 2009.

1. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    so i just got a trace elliot ah350smx,dream machine, and i was excited. but when i plugged it in and turned it on, fan makes a ridiculous noise, but works. with the input gain maxed and output gain maxed it sounds like a my 10watt practice amp has more pressence and volume. i mean i plugged it into my TE1048 and it sounds as if it should on 1.help? whats goin on? is my amp gone ?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If the amp has an effects loop run a cable from the send to the return jack and see if that helps.

Paul

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Try a new speaker cable. Different cabinet. Different bass and cable. After that, it's the amp itself.

If it's new, return it to the store.

If it's used, it sounds like it was broken when you bought it.

4. boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    does anyone know what could be broken? i noticed, i have never had a tube preamp, that the lights in the tube were very faintly on and not very bright, i dont know if they are supposed to be. but i took off the top and dusted it out still no luck, and i dont Want to return it

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +1 on returning it. Don't waste time trying to fix it yourself.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Have you eliminated all the other possibilities, as mentioned by Rick?

7. boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    yep, its at the amp techs place, but he cant look at it until mon or tues. The seller seems to be a music shop that sells and repairs equipment. and he seems pretty adament about helping me and making me happy. I am getting the problem figured out and then an estimate for fixing it. the seller said to send him the estimate and he will pay for it. of course he blaming the shipping company, which it may be, but the amp tech will tell me.

8. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like the store wants to keep you as a customer. And, they may be innocent of any wrong doing.

Not long ago my Eden head went out right in the middle of a song. Since everything works until it breaks, it's very possible that your Trace was in good shape when it was packed. Glad everything is working out.

9. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN