1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me win an argument

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    My wife and I were at out local Stuff-Mart and saw a woman get into her car. I pulled up with my signal light on right as she was loading her stuff into her car. She then got in her car and proceeded to fix her hair, dig through her purse, put on makeup and check her receipt. After all this and my profanities directed towards her, my wife said the parking space belongs to the lady and she can take her time leaving if she wants. I argued that the parking space is there for her to use while she patronizes the business. When she's done, she needs to promptly leave the space, especially when somebody's waiting to use it.

Who's right?:confused:

2. You're right. That is one of my pet peeves, especially when there are few parking spots to be had. The woman should have immediately vacated the spot and taken care of all that stuff later.

3. you(Finally:hyper: )

4. Within reason and generally speaking your wife is right.

The person can take some time to gather themselves and since their car is in the way you're not going anywhere until they move. But really they should clear the space in a realitively timely manner and I don't like waiting too long for people who "are done" to pull out. So IMO doing ALL those things you mentioned is not really on, and shouldnt happen in A COMMUNITY.

But really, they are under no obligation to do so...in fact if I saw you stressing about the time I took like that, I'd take a little longer on a "get the world" day. We all have those on occassion I think ;)

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Your wife. She can park there as long as she wants (within reason) and the limits of the parking space.

6. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    The lady in the parking spot was being inconsiderate, but it sounds like you were being pretty impatient. Your wife's the only one who comes out clean.

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hmmm,

well yeah, technically she can hold the spot as long as she wants like that but it would annoy me a lot too. thats why if someones waiting for my spot i try to get out of there quickly. Otherwise its blocking up the car park as well...

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    +1. Sorry, Ray.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Seriously though, if I went up to my girlfriend after an argument and said "You know what, I am right because a bunch of random people on the internet said so", then chances are after she finished laughing at my stupidity, she would still be right ;) :D

10. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Your wife.

Plus, I think it's rude to sit there with your blinker on WHILE she's loading the car.

You probably exerted more stress energy than if you would have pulled in to an open spot further away from the store and walked.

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    If I were her, I'd have sat and done all that, then gone back into the shop to get more stuff. I agree with Diggler, sitting there with your indicator on, waiting for a parking space is rude.

12. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    +1

Especially since you're blocking traffic behind you.

Just find a parking spot and walk.

13. She could have been waiting for a co-shopper to exit the store.

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'd rather she fix her make up, talk on the phone, etc, while she was sitting in a parking space rather than when she was driving.

I would have gotten annoyed waiting, too, but she certainly was under no obligation to clear the space simply because you were waiting.

15. I agree. This is particularly bad in those multi-storey carparks in cities which are one lane up and down. People will stalk others then sit there holding up cars behind when they could simply drive up another level or two.

16. This is quite common here in Perth and is not considered rude so far as I know. At least noone has ever let me know if they thought it was.

I'm not sure about park spaces around the globe, but most of them here are bi-directional. So the people can either wait behind you, or go around...

Rude is not giving me the room to get out while you are waiting for me with the indicator on, or yelling at me to hurry up as I load 3 kids and the shopping into the car ;)

17. I agree w/all the 'your wife' votes. Plus I want you to get some tonight. :D
    Using the turn signal is not, IMO rude; it lets other drivers know you were here first & intend to park right there.

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, I agree with that. It's not rude to sit there with the turn signal on--as long as you haven't pulled too close to make it difficult to get out of the space and aren't blocking both lanes of the parking lot.

19. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Wife's right. You can't force someone to get the hell outta the parking space until they're ready.

I'm guilty of this. I've loaded up the truck and jumped in, only to answer a phone call and start writing down directions or info or part numbers or whatever. Done it many many times.

You can get impatient and pissed off all ya want, but in the end, that person can take their sweet time all they want.

Besides... parking in the back of the lot lets you park without worrying some snot-nosed punk will smash his beater car door into yours, and gives you some exercise by walking the extra distance, fatty!

Okay Ray I have no idea if you're fat or need the extra walk. It's just fun to end sentences with FATTY!

:bag:

20. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Eh, I still think it's rude when you sit there waiting with your turn signal on while the person is still putting their stuff in the car. If they're in the car and have it started, that's different, but sitting there with your turn signal on gives off the "Hurry up, I want your spot" vibe.

I also don't stand next to someone's table in a crowded restaurant just because they've finished their dessert, nor do I hit on widows at funerals.

:D