1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me with a DJ/Drum Machine/Sequencer setup!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ely, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    So, I've decided to take the rhythm into my own hands. We never really had a drummer, just a drum set and a guy who could play it decently. But he's primarily our synth/theremin player. So, what I want to do is have some sort of electronic drum setup. I'd prefer hardware, because I'm not yet ready to buy a Macbook with Ableton Live at this moment.

The style of music we play is sort of... different. A bit funky, a bit noisy. Electronic and organic. Stuff you can dance to. We're definitely a jam band. Think Sound Tribe Sector 9 meets Nine Inch Nails meets Shpongle.

Here's what I'm looking for: I want something I can load drum samples on to. I want it to be versatile, able to do rock rhythm, bluesy and jazzy stuff, a little hip hop, and of course techno/industrial. I want it to be dynamic, and able to be tweaked in real time. I want to be able to keep a steady rhythm, but with the ability to add fills, rolls, and variations on the fly. Effects aren't very important because I would be running it into my Kaoss Pad KP3.

I've checked out the Korg Electribe, and it seems pretty cool, but the memory system sucks and it seems more suited to repetitive techno than groovy jamming.

I've also checked out the Akai MPC series, and they are friggin expensive. I do, however, think I could swing the price on the MPC500 (~$600) but I have no idea how it compares to the higher end models, and I can't find reviews on it anywhere.

Are there any other hardware sampler/sequencer/drum machines available for less than $1000 (preferrably closer to the $500 mark)?

Sorry for rambling,
    Ely