1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me with a P/J set...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MascisMan, Jun 25, 2007.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thinking of building a P/J. I've determined that the P-pickup will either be a Fralin or a Fender 'Original vintage' (the ones used in the 62RI's).

What would be a good bridge J pup that would balance well with these pickups? It will have to be available as a single because I really don't want to buy a full J-set if Im only going to use one of the pickups.

Body wood will be Alder and neck will maple/maple if it helps your choice. Controls will be Volume/Volume/Tone.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've always believed in sticking with the same type pickup to keep the balance right.

3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Does Fralin or Fender sell matched P/J sets? Or do they sell single bridge Jazz pickups by themselves?

4. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Stan Hinesly sells matched P/J sets. www.has-sound.com. I have his Hot Js in my Jazz, and they are awesome.

5. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    +1 on the HAS-SOUND P/U's.

I have stan hinesley's hybrid p/j set and absolutely love them... :hyper:

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I haven't tried the HAS but the Lawrence J45 and P-46 picups are a relly well balanced, low noise set. They have a nice vintage but clear sound to them. At something like $120 deliverd for the set they're also a relative bargain.

7. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Any other ideas/suggestions?

How would a Fender 62 RI pup and a Duncan 'hot' bridge J-pup sound together?

8. Bart!

Bart!

Mar 2, 2007
    Amsterdam
    Yes they do. I`m gonna build a set in a Squier JV Pbass.

9. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Cool deal, where can I find the Fender set? How much is it?

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Fralin sells a matched P/J set that includes a noiseless Split-Jazz pickup voiced to go with the P. I'd go that route, despite its high price. I use Fralins in my Fender, and they're excellent. BTW, the Fralin P has higher output than the Fender "Original," and would probably overwhelm some vintage voiced J pickups.

11. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I like the vintage style Fenders...very even sounding..

12. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  13. stay away from Nordies...they'll make your bass sound too good...then you won't stop playing it, forget to eat, and die of starvation....

remember to will your basses to me ;)

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021