Help me with a quick and dirty series wiring mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bobcruz, Mar 11, 2016.

1. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I'd like to try out series wiring in my SX jazz bass, currently wired in parallel with volume, volume and tone controls. I think it's fairly likely I'll want to stay with series wiring so I'm not interested in adding a series/parallel switch, but after trying series wiring I may change my mind and put in a switch. So far the only wiring diagrams I've found here or elsewhere online have a switch. For this experiment, I'd like to wire the pickups in series with only a single volume control and the tone control. Can someone tell me which wires to snip and reconnect based on the SX wiring diagram below? Many thanks in advance...Bob
    Jazz%20bass%20wiring%20diagram_zpsgydnla4v.jpg

2. LightForce104

LightForce104 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Hawaii/Washington
    Disconnecting the bridge hot and the neck ground, then soldering them together, should do what you want with minimal effort. Your second knob will not do anything in this state, FYI.

motorhall and bobcruz like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You'd get more responses if you had this in the Pickups & Electronics sub-forum.

JazzBassSeriesWiringDiagram.jpg

Courtesy of TB member WalterW

bobcruz likes this.
  4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Perfect you guys, many thanks. I'll keep the other subforum in mind if I go further with this. I already have the wiring diagram for adding a DPDT switch if I want to make the wiring switchable. :thumbsup:

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Any diagram for a Fender Jazz bass mod will work on an SX so that lives lots of diagrams out there.

MY personal favorite for live playing on an SX is a rotary switch (in place of the second volume). It goes neck only, neck and bridge in series, neck and bridge in parallel. Bridge only and mute. Gives several nice steps in tone with no volume knobs to twiddle except master volume. I also do the series/parallel switch in vol/blend but the blend doesn't seem to work well in series mode.

Will_White likes this.
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

For the record, and as someone who's rather inept with a soldering gun and wiring, here's my solution.

7. Wire the bass EXACTLY like a P-bass.
    PrecisionBass_Standard.jpg

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Oops, I missed the part about wanting to wire it with only one volume control.

9. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    This is what I did this morning and it took all of five minutes. I found and fixed a sloppy solder job on the neck volume pot while I was at it.

I noticed the expected increase in output but it didn't seem excessive, maybe 10-15% hotter, and I did not notice an expected loss of treble. This is a bright sounding jazz bass (swamp ash body, maple neck and board) strung with D'addarrio chrome flats and the tone seemed to stay the same for me. I'll know better when I play it in a band setting. I always use this bass with both pickups on full so now it's easier to use with only a single volume knob and no humming like before if the two volume knobs weren't set the same. I love tweaking a bass to the way I want and use it.

Thanks again, guys. :):):)

Malak the Mad likes this.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    somebody please try my revised idea, series with V/T/T!

in series you can turn down one tone and the other pickup stays bright; this means the tones act like a pickup switch, but just for the high end, while the low end stays on and keeps the series bass boost. turn down both tones and it's like a regular tone control.
    JAZZ%20BASS%20SERIES%20WIRING%20V-T-T.png

11. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I didn't use that exact diagram but I've done it and that works, I used a three position switch in place of the tone, I think that it will only work to cut the highs independently on the grounded pickup but I could be wrong. It's a wonderful mod tho. Lots of versatility. With two caps it's like a frequency switchable bass boost.

12. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    no, you can totally make it cut highs on either pickup.

13. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    By connecting the tone control across the pickup leads? Would the series resistance of the second pickup make it so that the tone couldn't be rolled all the way off like a grease bucket tone control? I've never had need of two independent treble cuts so I haven't thought much about it. I've used it on individual coils of humbuckers and to roll off the neck pickup and keep the cut of the bridge pickup, I'm not a big fan of the tone of bridge pickups by themselves.

14. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    This is a great idea, and I would like to do this to my SX J.

I see you have two caps on there. Can they be different, or should they match? Also, any particular reason for 500K pots instead of 250K?

15. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    as near as i can tell, the same thing happens with either pickup; rolling off its tone knob puts the cap across its leads, essentially shorting out its high end frequencies.

Will_White likes this.
  16. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    So one might put the 0.1 cap on the neck pickup and the 0.05 on the bridge to accentuate the characteristics of each... maybe, I dunno

17. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Yes that's a possible application of it, although a .1 on the neck and a .022 on the bridge would probably be a better combination.

18. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i found .1μF caps to do the best job of clearly "switching" the highs between one pickup or the other; smaller values just had too small of an effect, it seemed to end up still sounding like both pickups when turned down.

the neat thing is, turn both tones down and now the caps are in series, which means their value halves. dumping both tones effectively gives you a .05μF cap working on a humbucker, which works out just about right for a deep dark tone.

Will_White likes this.
  19. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    So I was trying to figure out how the vtt mod worked and I think I noticed something interesting but I'm not sure if I'm right, if you use a small value cap like a .01uf in parallel with one coil/pickup, would it roll off the bass from the other pickup?

20. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I finally got to gig my modded SX jazz 5er this morning and WOWSA, I like it a lot more than stock. There was increased bass and low mid punch, so I turned down the bass EQ on my amp a little to avoid too much of a good thing, and it was still bassier than before. I didn't notice any reduction in high frequencies--maybe the extra bass makes you think the highs are reduced? For high energy songs like we played at church today, the serial mod is perfect. Thank you, @LightForce104, for the perfect 5-minute mod advice for this bass. Peace, Bob

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022