1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help me with chord inversions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by \m/cliffB\m/, Apr 20, 2010.

1. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    so in my theory class we have a new studant teacher (whos really good looking i must say;))

she made us pick a song write a percussion part for it, play on piano the chords that go along with it, and we pick 2 people per group. i have to play the piano part and sing while the other two do something else and back up vocals (side story: the other two happen to be best female singers in our school i got paired with them) and where doing a formal performance

as a bass player i picked higher ground because whats easier then Emajor Gmajor and Amajor

the point of this:
    she is making us the the chords of the song invert them so that we arnt hopping all over the piano when playing them.she wants us to basically stay close together from the other chord and not hopping all over the piano as she says...

ANYWAY long story for such a short thing. im asking you TB'ers help me invert the chords for this. if your the bass player who lives under a rock dont know the notes for higher ground its:

E(major) G(major) A(major)

then it turns in to
    F#(major) A(major) B(major)

so off topic to this thread but not off topic to this subforum

help me find a good teacher around north NJ. dont tell me to use the search please just tell me if you know one its all good.

JOSH

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
  3. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
  4. oteeeeedohteeee

E G# B
    G B D
    A C# E

G# B E
    G B D
    A C# E

How's that? :) I like 7's and 9's better as you can push things around really close and get some really cool sounds. :)

JMT

5. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Do your own homework, punk.

6. a tad harsh tim?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    no pics, no good looking teacher.

:D

anyway, it's very simple. i'm not going to tell you how to do it exactly, but i'll tell you how to figure it out. all you have to do is play every chord in every inversion, and find the inversion that makes you move your hand the least. every triad has only 3 inversions, so you have a 1 in 3 chance of hitting the mark. that's better odds than vegas.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Duh- look at the chords (the spelling) and see what the notes are. Then put the lowest notes in a way that moves the least.

Unless of course you were too busy oogling the hot teacher to grok that she wants you to find VOICINGS of the chords that result in minimal movement. "Inversion" means only what note is on the bottom, and does not mean anything at all about the rest of the chord. So, yeah, do your own homework.

John

9. Minotauros

Minotauros

Nov 23, 2009
    Inversions is playing "leap frog", as I call it, with the notes. I'll give you Cmaj, you can figure out the others from their triads. You have to know the chord triads to do it, of course.

Cmaj triad:

C E G = Root

E G C = 1st inversion

G C E = 2nd inversion

Btw, this might be a no-brainer, but 7th chords are the 3rd inversion:

C E G B = R
    E G B C = 1st
    G B C E = 2nd
    B C E G = 3rd

10. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    as vanhalen said "im hot for a teacher"...anyway i gto some good ideas on how to do it the leap from idea from minotauros is the best and easyest way to do it i think

11. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    First of all: your teach may be goodlooking (agree with Jimmy, pics would help) but she also gave you a terrific assignment (compliments!).

Here's an idea for the next class that will point out the importance of inversions even better, because all too often we stick to chords, forgetting the (IMHO higher) importance of voicings.

1. group of four 2. pick a simple song 3. one sings the melody 4. the other three pick different chord notes and sing long notes in close harmony 5. move through the song with the correct changes, UNDER THE CONDITION THAT THE LONG NOTES MOVE UP OR DOWN A WHOLE STEP, A HALF STEP OR NOT AT ALL 6. Write down what you sang, 7. Look voor improvements.

Hope your teacher likes it.

12. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    LOL!
    This should become very popular around here.
    Made my day.

13. The inversions are just that - taking the tertiary structure and iteratively displacing each root. This is a precursor to where she's likely to go next which is to introduce you to voice leading.

There are several methods of doing this but a good place to start and an easy one to see visually is using the nearest neighbor method. If you harmonically write out the chords on a stave in sequence then basically rearrange the tertiary structure so that the individual notes in each chord are as close to the notes as the previous/next chord you will begin to see how this works. Of course subsequently there is the application and actual consideration of how it sounds, but, to get your feet wet and start to understand it on paper that will get you going.

Here's a simple example:

C Maj -> F Maj
    C E G -> F A C
    C E G -> A C F
    C E G -> C F A

vl_eample.

Hope that helps!!
    -PE

14. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy

chris, you always give the best anseres to all my theory needs thanks and this helps alot and i was able to get alot out of this from all you guys thanks

i will post a pic or two of her...shes asian but shes pritty good looking IMO

i am singging and playing the chords of the song here hard stuff but if guys like geddy lee,pual mcCartnty, and les claypool can do this so can i