1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me with Fender Sting PG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twistd, Mar 29, 2013.

1. twistd

twistd Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Had this listed and really like it, and want to keep it. But it looks like c**p with a missing PG and exposed route. Also, I do not like the look of the stock white PG (nor the shape of the '53). How can I find a PG maker that can help me make something without a template? Maybe stock shape but black? I have contacted a couple, and they need a template.

There was a thread a while back, that I have not found, about having a luthier filling in the route with a tug bar. Any thoughts on what this might cost or how well it can be done?

Attached Files:

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I believe the Fender black guard from the '51 is a direct replacement, but I'd check.

BTW, this is a (rather interpretive) '54 RI, not a '53.

3. twistd

twistd Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Bongo,
    I will look into '51 PG replacements. Thanks for the info.
    T

4. banikek

banikek

Sep 14, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My used '51 came with a black guard. Here is what it will look like.

IMG_2270_zpsb2c2abe4.

5. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I love my Sting bass! I like the look of the black pick guard better than white. I keep mine with no pickguard. I don't mind the weird hole, I just tell people its a bullet hole.

I think you could use longer than usual screws and put a tug bar on top of it.