Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP ME WITH GAS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by silent method, Apr 13, 2005.

1. :bag:

i am going nuts! i started playing bass in dec and i just bought my second bass, infact it isnt even here yet and i am already looking to buy another one it seems every day is a new bass that i need to have! the list goes on and on and on it is becoming more of a collection like rocks or stamps then musical instruments, i want one of everything!! what is wrong with me :help:

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    silent method: "Hello, my name is silent method, and I have G.A.S."

everyone: "Hello, silent method..."

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    hello silent method......yea welcome to the bass world , dont wory it normal :bag: oh and what kind of bass did you order???

4. That's when you should start to looking for the perfect tone. With your current gear, if it's decent, you should be able to find some good tone. But you have actually sit down and take your time. Once you get the "perfect tone", you would be set for a while.... That's how I deal with my GAS...........and it works..

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I realize I am to poor as a teenager to afford things I want. It brings my GAS down alot. I used to look at pictures on the net and be like "I have to have that" I developed self control. Now I only do that when I go to the guitar store and actually play something. :D

At this point my gas is really more of a need. I've put off buying a new bass for to long. Before it was I want a new one. Now its I need a new BASS!!!!!!!!!

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Stop it or I'll bury you alive in a box.

7. i think you may have to man, I CANT STOP!

8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    you have come to the wrong place for help my friend :)

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hmm...

A loan maybe? Try hooking up with a guy in a band with a dad with lots of instruments. :p

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you have GAS and really want to cure it, the first step is turning off your computer and never coming here or other boards ever again.

All that will happen is you will see pics and discussions of all kinds of things that you can't live without.

Go, run, don't look back, before it's too late...

11. But can you play?

Or are you going to be one of those Donald Trumps who buy 60's Fenders for their investment value? :mad:

It no matter what gear, its what you play with it, friend. ;)

12. well i like to think i can play heh but i know i have a long way to go but i have every intention of keeping up with it and always trying to get better, i try to play atleast 5 hrs a week although i would like to play more. i spend a lot of time sitting just looking at how beautiful my basses are though. i really see a bass as more then an instrument but a thing of beauty and art in its own right

13. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    There's a product called "Basso" that cures GAS. You must take it 30 minutes before logging in to TalkBass.

It's available in the TalkBass store. :D

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Step one: We admitted we were powerless over buying new gear. Only problem is none of us have and we all thing we still think we can do this responisbly and we have control. Like AlembicPlayer said. This is like going to bar and telling the people you need help with your drinking problem.

Step two. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Perhaps you should start there. :)

There are 10 more.

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Coming to Talk Bass doesn't help with the GAS. There's a reason why I don't frequent any of the gear forums like basses, amps, etc.

I like what Benjamin Strange suggested a while back. Pay yourself for practicing. Pay yourself $10-$20 an hour, and when you have practiced enough you will find that you saved up money to buy a new bass.

16. that is the best idea i have ever heard, not only would i practice more i would be somewhat controlling how much i spend! thanks man!

17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    That is freaking brillliant!!!!!

Last year I read a book on finances that stressed the idea of paying yourself first. I believe that was huge step in me purchasing Bongo 1 and Bongo 2 which is on it's way. The basic idea is that we write checks out for our rent, our utilities, our loans, our phones, and god knows what else. Before writing out any of those checks write a similar one to ourselves. I've been doing that believing I deserve it, and it's been great.

The money seems to always replenish itself. I'm sure many of you have noticed that regardless of what your bills are, somehow they wind up getting paid. When my rent was $200, I just made made it... when it went to 3, same thing... I got cable TV, a cable internet hookup, bought a Coop... the more my bills go up, the more money seems to flow in.

I can pay myself even more now. Thanks Jive and Ben.

18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    PS. Just to help you feel a little less alone - my 5 string Bongo will be arriving in approximately 2 weeks. I'm far from being a rich man at the moment, but I'm already starting wonder about the Fretless Bongo I MUST get to complete my collection. If I get that then I'll have em all and won't need another bass, ever! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also get that warm fuzzy feeling inside when I think of the new bass on it's way. Kinda reminds me of X-mas when I was a kid. Can keep me up at night if I think about it. Basses..... ohhhhh.

19. this is soo true eh, it seems when i make more money then usual i am still just making it, when i make less money they usual i still just make it it always balances out