Help me with my amp dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Sep 28, 2004.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I've got some decisions to make, and I need some input from you talkbassers. I have an Aguilar DB359 as my "big rig", with GS 210 and GS115 cabs. I also have an old SWR Bigfoot cab. For my small amp I have an Acoustic Image combo. Some things might be time for a change. I play both upright and electric, so I usually use the AI for jazz gigs on upright, and sometimes on smaller gigs with electric. Problem is the AI tend to bottom out at high volumes, it can't get super duper loud. So I'm considering buying an Acme B-1 cab and another head, either the AG500 or the Focus head. Of course I'd have to sell my existing gear. The other dilemma is that although I love the DB359 in tone, it's big and heavy to carry, and only 200 watts (tube rating). Usually 200 watts is plenty, but I've been thinking maybe I should have bought the DB680 and like a Peavey DPC1400 power amp and then I'd be lighter with more power. I suppose if I decided to sell the 359 for this setup then I wouldn't need the AG500 and probably would end up with the Focus. But then I won't have an amp with a tube power section, which sounds different from solid-state. So you can see my dilemma. What would you do? What do you think is the best choice of amps here for my applications? I definitely think tubes sound great, but the noise from lights, the possibility of overheating, the size and weight.....
    But why end up with two digital amps? I need help. Then I didn't even mention that I might not need the 115 anymore either!!!
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    2 things. You said you'd miss the tube power section. Solid state power sections and tube power sections aren't that different. There definatly is a difference but I don't think you'll notice it too much, or maybe you will. I only notice a small difference but you may notice a big one. Also you refer to solid state amps as digital, no they're still analog. As for what to do. I would test out some of the gear and see if you like it. If it were me I'd keep the 359 or buy the 680 and a solid state poweramp but that's what I like you may not like that setup. Try the stuff before you buy it.
  3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh Contrare, mon frare. Tube and solid state is very different. Tube is more warm and organic, much more round sounding. It's hard to beat, but it's heavy, it gets very hot, and isn't extremely loud. Comparitively Digital switching power amps are usually over rated in terms of output (when compared to Mosfet) and tube amps are underrated. In other words 200 all tube watts = about 450 mosfet = about 600 digital switching in terms of actual loudness. The EQ and features of the 680 are hard to beat though, and I could rack it all in a four space with my digital tuner and the Peavey DPC1400. That's why I've got a dilemma, and no dealers in my area (including the Sam Ash where I work) have these items in stock to try out.
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I wouldn't worry about digital switching power amps because they are few and far between. And if you find one, you would probably find MOSFETs in its output section.
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    sounds like a heck of a rig to me. btw, I have the db680 and really like it.