Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me with my E string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Element182, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Element182

Element182

Mar 4, 2003
    i have a Squier p- bass by fender and i have Ernie Ball slinky bass strings but i cant get the E string to sound good. it sounds really choppy. i want a really good sound but the one im gettin is poo. my amp is a laney hardcore 50B... 50 watt im not really sure on how to use my amp seeing as i only get to use once week cus its at my drummers house for practice...

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    What exactly do you mean by choppy? That is not descriptive enough for me to know what you mean.

3. I don't know what he means. Maybe the problem I have ? Like when I play on my e string (I like to play next to the fretboard) it hits frets or something and makes a twangy/rattling sound. How can I prevent this ? I'm not hitting it hard either...

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Serene- It sounds like the action on your bass cound be too low. Have you tried rasing the E string from the bridge?

5. How can I ? I'll post a pic of my bass...

6. Zoomed in some form Photoshop -

7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    On your bridge there are four saddles, one under each string. On either side of the saddle are little two screws. To raise the action you rotate the screws so that they raise the saddle. One way to do this is you don't have the right tools is to loosen the string and twist the two screw a little bit higher so that they stick out more under the bridge.

8. Element182

Element182

Mar 4, 2003
    pic :D hehehe i cant explain the sound of the E string all i can think of is choppy lol

9. The little holes here ?

10. I've owned three Fenders--a '78 Precision, an '89 MIJ Jazz, and a 2000 MIA Jazz.

All three of these basses have had a similar problem with the E-string, particularly above the 12th fret. All three needed a neck adjustment. My luthier said that this was a common Fender problem, and that he has seen numerous cases of neck warpage in the same spot.

The P-bass and the MIA were fixed with relative ease ($60). I was told the MIJ needed replaning, but traded it away for labor, so I don't know if it could have been fixed more cheaply, but given this new luthier I started going to, I suspect so.

Hopefully you just have an action issue. If not, find a good luthier and get the neck straightened out.

11. Won't show...

Edit - Look at red dots, you mean the screw like points with no head to it ? Looks like that little what-cha-ma-callit goes into ?

12. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Well I will just rattle off some problems that could be messing up your E string.

1) You just got a dud of an E string
    2) Same problem as Serene
    3) The filing is you nut could be too wide with gauge of string you are using
    4) Bushing in the tuner could be loose
    5) Not enough tension in the string from the nut to the tuner
    6) Could be a problem with a low quality bridge

13. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
  14. Element182

Element182

Mar 4, 2003
    the 12 threat on mine is odd 2... i think its time for a new bass :D iv been lookin at the mark hoppus signature by fender its soo cooooooool

15. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    That is what I mean. They don't exactly look like screws, I just didn't know what else to call them.

16. Element182

Element182

Mar 4, 2003
    yeah but the string are new!!!

17. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would say just get a normal Fender, then put in a Seymour Duncan pickup. It would probably cost lest.

18. Element, let me guess. you play with a pick. you play hard. your problem is, you are playing too hard. turn your amp up, and don't hit the strings as hard.