Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me with my funkage!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SR480Sol, Aug 6, 2001.

1. SR480Sol

SR480Sol

May 24, 2001
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    hello fellow musicians,

After experiencing journeys through different musical genres such as rock and jazz, my adventure as brought me to the funk genre. And i'm pretty decent with slapping and all, but i was just wonderin if there are like any other cool techniques i could add to my playing...thanks i appreciate it

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hello SR480 and welcome to the club!

Are you "pretty decent at A , (as in one) slapping technique or several? There's a lot more variety than thumping your thumb on strings. You combine and alternate a variety of other techniques, like popping, tapping, and hammer-ons with it to name a few.

I thought I had slapping down until I saw a couple of videos on it. Suddenly, I was way behind.

Plus one key to funk is knowing when NOT to play. You leave spaces, where the groove is suspended so that when you do come back in, the impact is magnified, (a la the bassists for James Brown).

Try some slapping with double pops if you haven't already. That may keep you challenged for a while.

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Remember that funk isn't just slapping too. Some of the greatest funk lines are played just plain old finger style.

4. I just wanted to elaborate on this comment. I agree, funk is a feeling not a technique but it seems most players lacking experience tend to call slap, 'funk' or vice versa. Case in point is Ray Randieau, this guy's using monotonous slap style, but it has absolutely no funk at all!! IMHO his playing lacks soul in general.
    It is possible to play a funky bassline using the slap technique just as it is possible using a standard finger technique. Slap style bass is one of at least 100 different ways to play a bass.
    As far as different funk techniques, study Victor Wooten, Michael Manring, Larry Graham, and Marcus Miller for starters. Check out some instructional videos. That is alot easier than trying to explain what I do.

5. SR480Sol

SR480Sol

May 24, 2001
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    thank you everyone for helping me, yea i know there are other styles and methods, i was wondering just what they were. My teacher is working with me with 16ths and he is teaching me alot of other things to.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like you are on the right track - subdividing the bar into 16th is to me, crucial for getting funky - it's those syncopations and anticipations that make it funky. JimK has put up some good lessons on this - search for these and also look at drum patterns for funk.

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've beaten this URL to death, but it has some GREAT funk lines...

www.libster.com

check out the 16th note grooves and the ghost note lessons.

go quickly, the site will soon go down.

i've saved the pages if anyone is interested.

fred