Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me with my new p-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bigwig, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    I got a new MIM precision bass on the weekend, and i love the neck, and the sound is actually quite good, but im looking for better. I use a pick, playing in a hardcore punk / metal band, and im just unsure of what pickups would suit me and the stuff i play.

im looking for alot of clearity yet some bottom end aswell..and i know very little about pickups. I've heard of the seymour duncan quater pound pickups, and my guitarist gave me a link to the EMG-P pickups [hes been a huge fan of EMG since he through them in his gibson sg a few months back]

any other suggestions for an aggresive genre? which would you suggest, the sd pickups or the emg?

thanks alot for reading, talkbass has answered more questions than i thought i could ask, so heres another one..

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd recommend the Nordstrand NP4

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

+1 :hyper:

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Quarter pounders are very powerful pickups. Great bottom end. They work very well for aggressive music in all genres. Not overly expensive either.

I have never had a chance to try the Nordstrand's though.

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

If you ever get the chance, check out the Nordstrand NP4 pickup. I have a Nordstrand P/J set in my Pbass deluxe (the bridge is a NJ4SE) With a set of TI Jazz Flats, this thing sounds awesome IMHO. Way better than the Fender pickups they replace. :)

7. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    This Nordstrand pickup seems popular, I can't say I've ever heard about it.
    Is it something I'l be able to find in Southern Ontario? Or would it take an internet order to get my hands on one?

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Also Areo P-pickups are great.

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Try www.blueberryhillbass.com

10. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    The Nordstrand is very big and bold, but still warm.

11. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Im going to have to agree here.... ;) ;) ;)