Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me with my new wiring project?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Mar 5, 2006.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Im looking to put in a new preamp and rewire my electronics, and I determined that I need a set of 4 wire humbuckers. Can anyone suggest anything? I want to spend the least amount of money possible... so nothing above 150 per pickup, i guess? The reason I need 4 wire pickups is that I want to be able to switch between single and dual coil on both pickups. I'd also like to see if it's possible if I can wire it so that I can have a push/pull volume knob that bypasses the active circuitry.. and still get the single/dual coil. This is going to be the first time I've really went back there to do any amount of work other than changing a battery, but I'm fairly confident I can pull this off pretty well if I put my head into it. First, though, I need to know if anyone knows of any 4 wire humbuckers... its preferable if theyre sort of warm and punchy, if you're curious. Thanks for the help.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I know DiMarzio Ultra J's are four-wire humbuckers in a single-coil size pickup.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    also DM Model J's, SD stacks / hot stacks