Help me with my new wiring project?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Mar 5, 2006.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Im looking to put in a new preamp and rewire my electronics, and I determined that I need a set of 4 wire humbuckers. Can anyone suggest anything? I want to spend the least amount of money possible... so nothing above 150 per pickup, i guess? The reason I need 4 wire pickups is that I want to be able to switch between single and dual coil on both pickups. I'd also like to see if it's possible if I can wire it so that I can have a push/pull volume knob that bypasses the active circuitry.. and still get the single/dual coil. This is going to be the first time I've really went back there to do any amount of work other than changing a battery, but I'm fairly confident I can pull this off pretty well if I put my head into it. First, though, I need to know if anyone knows of any 4 wire humbuckers... its preferable if theyre sort of warm and punchy, if you're curious. Thanks for the help.
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I know DiMarzio Ultra J's are four-wire humbuckers in a single-coil size pickup.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    also DM Model J's, SD stacks / hot stacks