Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me with my thin sound

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Jun 15, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own a strunal 5/20 that has Eudoxa/Oliv strings. The bass still has the stock bridge on as I still need to get her fully setup. But I'm getting a kind of thin sound. The lows aren't projecting, and are muddy. If anyone could give me some help on this it would help out tons

2. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    Might be your bass.......maybe strings. The bass has the most to do with projection. Try lighter gauges.

3. Might be you. I believe a considerable portion of the instrument's sound comes from your right hand (unless you are a southpaw). It might help if you could finally fill out the teacher portion of your profile. That said, what sort of tailpiece wire/cable do you have? Something flexible like aircraft cable will definitely liven up the tone of your bass over the coathanger type.

4. A little more info....Are you talking arco, pizz or both? Genre of music?

5. Although they bow beautifully, the Oliv E played pizz is not that clear. The ultimate pizz string is Tomastik. Keep in mind that you can't expect a Strunal to sound like a Testore.

6. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    Might be you. I believe a considerable portion of the instrument's sound comes from your right hand - Steve

Right on.

7. I have a Strunal 5/35, I too have dealt with the thin sound issue. I am now using Velvet Animas and they seem to have opened the bass up alot (along with a new bridge, tailpeice cable, fingerboard dressing, and soundpost setting). Personally, I'm still not convinced the SP is up to code so I am looking to go to a luthier who will allow me to spend some time with him adjusting the post and letting my play to hear the effect. I'm not expecting it to sound like a mastercrafted bass, but I think there is a lot of tone in this bass.

P.S. I'd like to add I know I can get more tone out of the bass, my teacher reminds me of that everytime he plays it!

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I play pizz, and playing mostly old ska/jazz/swing style of mucis. I have already replaced the tailpeice cable with an aircraft type cable. For my strings i'm using Eudoxa E, and A, and Oliv D, and G strings. Does a new bridge, and sound post adjustment help that much?

9. You have to remember the bridge transfers the sound between the strings and the body. The Strunal bridges are 1. too thin 2. poorly fitted 3. made of cheap wood. I noticed a big difference in sound on my bass with the new bridge, I played it for 2 years with the old bridge so I am really fimilar with the tone.
    I'd say look into it, it can't hurt.

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Mike.....how do you like the sound of you 5/35 now, and hw would you discribe the sound?

11. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I would say it has got something to do with your bass/setup , or your technique, in my opinion, Pirastro Olive and Eudoxa dont sound thin at all, they are very warm and fat sounding strings, i thought you were using the Olive E(which is not that clear for pizz although i use it and like very much the sound when bowing...), the Eudoxa E is brighter sounding than the olive, with your string combination you should have a very warm sound...
    I play old jazz too and i use plain G and D with A and E Olive, my sound is fat and thumpy...
    I would take the bass to a luthier, they are our babies' doctors ;)

NUNO

12. The new bridge has given the bass a stronger sound, more volume. I can play accoustically and be heard (mostly in classroom and rehersal settings). On gigs I still play with an amp, but even then the sound is better because the new bridge's feet fit the top better which makes for better contact with my realist. I'd say it was money well spent.

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    here is how my stock bridge looks right now....what do you guys think? Does it look that pourly fit

14. I'll give you this, from the picture it looks better than my stock bridge. The feet on mine had a few spots that didn't make full contact with the top. One thing I will say though, the feet do look a little thin. Good bridges seem to be a bit heftier than Strunal stock bridges. If the bread is a sticking point I'd suggest having the soundpost adjusted, hell get a new post. I remember reading in a post on hear that the post is cheap it's the set up of the post that costs money, it would be $50.00 for a new post instead of $30.00 for just the set up. It's worth a shot.

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    With all of that wood between the heart and the strings I would think it would be on the darkish/deadish side...

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Oh -- how old is the bass, how long have you had it, how often do you play it, how long have you played the big bass, how much do you play acoustically with other people, do you practice much with the bow?

17. The angle of this photo is very strange! Ray, it looks to me like the quality of the photo is making the bridge look like it's got more wood in the space you're talking about??
    Anyway, the feet fit looks fine from the top, how about underneath? Also, I agree the feet could use a little more meat!