1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me with my tunings :(

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rose_of_Sharyn, Nov 14, 2006.

1. OK to start this off, sorry if this is in wrong section and I dont know much at ALL about tunings and stuff like that, so for the sake of you understanding better Ill just reference the strings E,A,D,G and not like #C or whatever the hell it may be.

It is very hard to explain how im doing this... so it might be best if you just grab your bass and start at the begining of the steps :bassist:

alright.
    Im not sure what you would call this tuning, but im having problems. OK ill put how I normally tune in steps. ( I have a 5 string bass)

1. Put everything in standard tuning E,A,D,G (I usually leave the B string off, ill explain later)

2. Then I put it in drop D by plucking 7th fret of the E string and plucking the A string, then I make both of those notes the same sounding. (make octave of e and d) (sorry if i explain bad lol)

3. Then Im not sure if it is called drop c or not, but this is what I do. I pluck the 5th fret of the E string and I pluck the A string and make the A string the same note as the plucked 5th fret of the e string , then I hit the 5th fret of the a string i just tuned and make the d string sound the same, and I do the same for the G string,

4. Now it is bassically like in standard tuning but alot lower , then I (drop d) it again. I hit the 7th fret of the E string and make it the same note as the open A. ( or i might just do octaves of the e and D string)
    1. Whats this tuning called? Like what are the actual notes? C,D....? I dont know

Ok,
    next question

If I ever want to slap my B string on there, say everything was in standard tuning, what fret can I tune off of to tune the B?(for example: like how I go into drop D by hitting 7th fret of E string and hitting the open A string and tune the E string down to sound like the A string ( octave of E and D string)) The reason I ask is because I dont have a tuner and I have to use a crappy online tuner and its really hard to hear exactly how it sounds through my cheap headphones.

Also, anyone know of a rackmount tuner that actually picks up B....?

2. penguinbass

penguinbass

Feb 7, 2006
    I'm pretty sure you're in drop C which is CGCF
    If you wanted to add in the B you could tune the 7th fret of the B to sound the same as the dropped E(C) then your tuning would be GCGCF (the B and E would be 2 4ths lower than normal and the rest of the strings would be 1 4th lower than normal).

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    This is the only part of this post that I think I can deal with. But at least it's a start!

If you're tuner doesn't respond to your low strings, just play a higher overtone of that string by gently touching the string at the 12th or 5th fret. This will sound the same, but an octave (or two) up.

You can also use a tuner to figure out what note your strings are tuned to.

It sounds like you might be lacking in some very basic musicianship skills and some lessons or a musicianship class might help.

-Will

4. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    if you're in BEADG, tune the 5th fret of the B to an open E. Unless I'm ********, wh ich is always possible. I don't nkow if that's what you're asking, but you said standard.. so.. yup.

ps a low g would be dirty south