Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP ME WITH OHMS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Apr 29, 2002.

1. brandonwhite

brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    AR
    I am looking at the Ampeg PR4x10 and 1x15. They are both 8 ohm cabs so I was wondering what ohm head I should get.

also, is it better to just buy a head or buy a pre-amp and power amp? Which sounds better?

2. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    The first thing is,What kind of music do you want to play and what sound do you want?
    If you want to stay with Ampeg,there are at least four ways to go;
    1)All tube head:SVT-IIpro(rackmountable) or SVT Classic(standard amp head)
    2)Tube pre-amp with solid state power amp:SVT-IIIpro or SVT-4pro
    3)All solid state head:B2R(rackmount)or SVT350H
    4)Separate preamp/power amp:SVP-PRO with either an Ampeg (I forget the model)or another brand of power amp.
    Your total ohm load with the two 8-ohm cabs is four ohms.generally any of these amps will handle that.It really comes down to weighing the advantages and disadvantages of the different heads.If they all sound the same to you,get the least expensive and lightest(B2r).If you just have to have all-tube grind,get an all-tube head or a tube preamp and a separate tube power amp.The advantage of separating is that you can buy the exact pre amp you like and the exact power-amp you like,and with the power you need.Then,if you want to change one for say,more power just upgrade the power amp.Likewise,if you like the power-amp but want different tone-shaping abilities,try a different preamp.Or put two or more preamps in your rack for different sounds.

Or if you're like me and you like tube tone,but dont want to deal with the weight and retubing hassles,get a hybrid like the SVT-IIIpro or SVT-4pro_Or a tube preamp with a nice solid state power amp,or maybe with a pair of power amps.

This subject can get pretty endless,I didn't cover everything,but I hated seeing zero replies.