Help Me With Picking A Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by merdenoms2590, Oct 5, 2005.

1. merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm looking for a new bass, which i've stated on here ( a few times now. I've been looking around and i dont really see all that much that catchs my eye. The band i'm in is more like Audioslave style rock, but i'm more into Funk/Rock. I know thats kinda a big difference in style, but i was wanting to know if any one had any suggestions of bass's for me to look at? any ones to stay away from? anything will help

2. Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    MIA P.
    MIA J.

Whats your budget?
  3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    A Stingray if you're not on a budget.

MTD Kingston or Heir if you are on a tighter budget. They can be had for pretty cheap on the used market.
  4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I guess Fodera and Alembic make some nice ones. Modulus are great too! You could go with a Conklin or maybe a Tobias or Ken Smith?

If we are going to help you out, we need to know your budget. A Stingray runs about $1200 or so, MIA J about the same. However MIM J runs $450 or so, as does the Yamaha BB.
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    You should go to a music store and try out every bass you can (within reason.. give them each a decent amount of time) and compare features. What spacing do you like? How many strings? What pickups do you like? What body style? Weight?
    When you come up with that information you might want to re-ask the question.. but its more likely that youll already know what you like. Compare features.

How long have you been playing?

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    If you want a cool looking,great sounding bass that will suit Any style you play, check out lecompte basses. Very reasonably priced and excellent
  7. Yeah get a LeCompte...if you can't afford that, try and get something like a J bass. A J type bass does pretty much everything, plus Tim Commerford plays one.
  8. Sky being the limit, a modulus. Almost to the sky, a nice Ric. On a strict budget, a fender. Aside from this opinionated guideline, nothing beats going to the music store and seeing what fits you best.