help me with slapping!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sick-jimmychick, Feb 11, 2002.

1. okay well, my brother was (trying to) teach me to slap, and every time i did it he kept telling me not to move my arm cos "its all in the wrist" i tryed to do that, and i tryed to do it with my wrist, but i cant....any tips???
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Go to the "Technique" forum.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Welcome to TalkBass, Jimmy.

As Estring said, this belongs in Technique.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    buy The Slap Bass Program by Alexis Sklarevsky....well worth the 50 bucks.

...or you can continue to get frustrated flubbing on your strings.
  5. uh, sorry for putting it in the wrong thing!!
    and thanks babadingding for telling me about the
    alex sklarevsky thing...and is that 50 bucks in american dollars??
  6. Down

Sep 11, 2000
    I had a same kind of problem, and I was told that
    its good to do imagine that you are turning the door knob.
    Or make same kind of move with the WRIST, as when you turning the knob. Except raise your thumb up, when turning:).
    And relaxation is really important in this also.
    And remember that this thing is not the ones you can get fast. When I tried to learn this, I spent few days just by standing in my room, metronome on about 100, and slapped one string about 3 hours, like
    "A-A-A-A-A-A..."<--3 hours
    then at next day,
    and so on.
    It took lots of time, but now I can do it:cool: .
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, those are American dollars. That door knob tip is pretty good too...that's the basic motion you want to go for.

8. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    greetz! w00 ha my first post!:D

"A-A-A-A-A-A..."<--3 hours
    then at next day,
    "D-D-D-D-D-D..."<--3hours the way i picked it up:). Just keep putting practice time into it and you'll get it! I think this is a great way to find what YOU are most comfortable with. Work on getting a sound that you can reproduce consistanly!

After that try slapping some tunes you already know. Start slow and speed up as you get the hang of it.

It all takes practice:eek:

good luck

9. thanks for all the tips guys!!! i'll go try the door knob thingy in a minute!!
  10. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    This always gets some interesting reactions. The technique used for banjo, and slap-bass are almost
    identical;). Anchor your pinky finger right at the bass of your bridge on the bottom side. This will help your aproach, by having your right hand where it needs to be, and preventing it from flailing around wildly. Now using your pinky finger as a fulcrum, pivot your rist, and, using a light touch,
    slap so that the side of the first nuckel on your thumb is what makes contact with the string.(enough of a run-on sentance for you?) This will also put you in the right position for popping. Try this as an excorsise:
    Once you get the basic slaping action down, slap your E string open, and using your pointer finger, pop your open G, making kind of a DA-PING sound.
    Once you have that down, add a hammer-on at the G position of your E string after you slap your open
    E. The idea here is to get a "BA-DA-PING" sound.
    Voila'! you're playing slaped tripplets. Once you get the basis of it down, everything else will fall into place. Or check out any good banjo player to get the idea;)
  11. how many peoplr who read this have turned an invisable door nob??
    i know i did and its true

12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    When someone pisses you off, open up your fist and fling your hand accross their face (make sure you use a door slamming type of motion in your arm.)