1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me with the math....100 watts into 2-8ohms speakers or 1-4ohm speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gintaras, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have been messing around changing speakers for the last 2 weeks. I put a 8 ohm deltalite in my workingman 10. Since this amp has an extension jack and will handle 2-8 ohms speakers, would there be any advantage to getting all 100 watts to one 4 ohm speaker. (present config is 80 watts to an 8 ohm speaker) I am trying to get a better handle on multiple speakers pushing more air compared to more wattage to a single speaker.

I would also like to hear from anyone on a link that might deal with the math to calculate these types of situations.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    math gives me a head ache!!!

I almost always prefer two speakers vs. one. I wouldn't expect much volume from one or two, but might seem a little louder with two. although sometimes one speaker pushed a bit can cut through better than a non strained speaker??

I don't know....carrots...:crying:

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    interesting about the non strained speaker. the deltalite turned up to 6 does not even begin to strain the speaker.