1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me with this Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Komadinic, May 29, 2020.

1. Komadinic

Komadinic Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2018
    I don't know which model it is. Just got it in a trade, apparently it's 4003S but it has a different neck pickup and it has a cut in the middle of the bridge pup cover. I'm starting to worry that it might not be an original model. Please help me!

4003s

2. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    Looks like a 4001V63 to me.
    Worth $$ more than a 4003S

jjmf, Koshchei, kirillstokes and 10 others like this.
  3. Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    That was a fast response and something i really didn't expect. I did think it's genuine because it has dual truss rod but couldn't pin down the model. I really appreciate your input!

jamro217, bobyoung53 and woodyng2 like this.
  4. Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    Since you know your stuff may i i ask you one more question please? How do i lower the action on the bridge of a Rickenbacker bass? It's my first and the action is a bit high after 7th fret. Also is there any way i can find out which year it was made? No serial number that i can spot. Thank you Sam!

woodyng2 likes this.
  5. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Serial number is on the output jack. You can go online with the number to decode the month and year of manufacture.
    And that does indeed look like a V63. Nice bass!

Spidey2112 and Komadinic like this.
  6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    The serial number is on the jackplate . Check the neck relief before you fiddle with the bridge . Unlike other basses , Rickenbacker advise you to set the neck with zero relief .

Spidey2112 and Komadinic like this.
  7. Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks for the help guys. Wow it was made in 1984, it's in incredible condition for that age, i was sure it's 2000s. Okay I'll push my luck and ask you what's the value of it? Thanks again!

8. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Find out if the bridge pickup has magnetic shoes. If they are, you’ve got a very valuable bass.

Komadinic likes this.
  9. Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    How do I do that? Forgive me I'm a newbie, i know i might be annoying y'all with all my questions but I'm genuinely curious. Thanks again!

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    No they don't. They say "you may prefer to adjust a RIC neck almost dead straight" (emphasis is mine). "Almost dead straight" is not straight. And you may prefer a bit of relief. I do. It's amazing how many people that own Rics have not actually read Rickenbacker's recommendations.

11. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    You’re not annoying at all. I’m not technically minded,but i would try putting a (metal) paper clip on the pickup cover and see if it sticks.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    OP... I've been playing over 40 years, only recently bought a Ric, so your questions are even helping out an old man. PLEASE... keep asking :)

13. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Townsville
    Beautiful V63! I love the sound of those horsehoe pickups, too. Plus, it has the neck pickup closer to the neck, which is where I wish they'd kept them. Great bass, have fun with it!

bobyoung53, Spidey2112 and woodyng2 like this.
  14. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    "rickenbacker 4001V63" Gear

15. I read them, back when I owned a 4004 & recall them basically commenting you can put a RIC neck straighter, because of the dual truss-rods:

"A slight under bow (relief) is common on non-Rickenbacker instruments due to their limited range of adjustment. Due to their extreme adjustability you may prefer to adjust a RIC neck almost dead straight"

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf

16. Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks for all the responses, I am overwhelmed from this new found knowledge! Keep posting and keep updating me, I love to learn about guitars and basses

woodyng2 likes this.
  17. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Precisely as I quoted. "May prefer" and "almost dead straight". The bit about non-Rickenbacker instruments having limited range of adjustment is simply untrue.

40Hz and corndog like this.
  18. It is true actually, because if you adjust the neck-relief to 0.2 mm on the bass-side of the neck & the relief on the treble-side is 0.3 mm on a single truss-rod bass, there's nothing you can do.
    On a RIC you can adjust each side.

FugaziBomb and dkelley like this.
  19. Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    Guys another question. What is this? It's a mute i believe and i think it goes above the saddles but what's up with the 2 screws with springs? What is their role?
    Mute

20. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    If you look at some players they put a sponge under their strings to deaden them.
    The Ric has a built-in assembly which allows you to twist the thumbscrews to bring the mute into contact with the strings.

bobyoung53 likes this.