Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP ME WITH TONE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Feb 12, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I'm finding myself unable to find a good tone on my Carvin PB100-15. Everything I try is dull and has no life to it whatsoever. Can anyone recommend some setting? Try not to use terms I won't understand such has "sweep" or "scoop". Maybe you could explain to me what those terms mean? Anyways I don't care if you have this amp even some recommendations from other amps might help.

2. Maybe you need new strings?

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Nope I just got some new GHS Boomers a month ago...

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It could be your bass, as well.
    GSR's aren't famous for being "lively."

Also, with it being a passive bass, have you tried not cutting any of the treble?

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    What do you mean by not cutting? :confused:

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Cut = Turn Down
    Boost = Turn Up

Since you're asking for "lively", after looking at the <a href="http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=PB100-15&P1=BA">PB100-15</a>, I would definitely boost your mids and treble a bit. Make sure that all of your switches are off as well.

Looking at your bass, I would turn your bridge pickup a little higher than your neck pickup, and use that tone knob a bit as well.

Thats the best I can do on short notice.

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    OK, well how would I get a "lively growly" tone? I'm not up to terms obviously so maybe you'd understand what I'm looking for?

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Lively and growly?
    Growly tone's pretty lively in itself, I'd suggest boosting a mid a considerable amount. Your lower mids are more powerful with growl than your higher mids. :)

I think tone's a very delicate thing, though.

Your tone has to meet tons of specifications.
    I don't care if people call any equipment "A one trick pony" if it does what you want, it works for how you play (not the specific genre, but your actual playing) and pleases you a good deal, then I'd say you've found your tone.

Blah, sorry for the rant. :)

9. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I cut treble and I have a passive Ric...need to get rid of some of the cutting power for jazz....sounds alot like a string bass even though i want an azola real bad

10. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Ok I figured out the problem, I had ordered a Peavey Milestone V from my local Peavey dealer and the problem was the GSR200. Once I plugged it in I found the tone I was looking for right away and boosting the mids basically did the trick.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Congrats on the new bass. :)

12. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Thanks. This thing's great. :D