Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me with what cables i need

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Nov 29, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    I have a QSC PLX 1202 coming to my house soon and i have a peavey mark iv which i want to use as my pre untill i get a real pre. what cables do i need to run it? do i just use guitar cable from pre out into the back of the power? My avatar doenst have the speakons so, should i buy 1/4th to speak on or just use the 1/4th plug? wont the speakon make a better and probally safer connection?

-thanks a lot

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes instrument cable is what you use to run from the pre out to the power amp, you may need a y cord to connect the preamp out to both sides of the poweramp
    i would use 1/4" cable on both ends if the poweramp has 1/4" out as the fact that you are using a 1/4" plug on one side kind of negates the superior power capability of the speakon, but speakon to 1/4" is fine too.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No, you do NOT need a "Y" cord. All PLX series amps have a DIP switch in the back to permit you to run the input in parallel to both channels without a Y cord. When active, that switch copies whatever is in channel A over to channel B as well.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's a very cool feature, i was not aware of that.

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    cool.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    And you *do* want 1/4" to speakon, just so you can use the PLX in bridged mono without wiring confusion.

7. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i dont even have the QSC or know how to put one in bridged mode, but why do i need the speakon? does it require less mess?

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Without a speakon, in order to use bridged mode you have to use the binding posts out, which are a royal pain if you ever need to unplug and plug in the cab. You can only use 1/4" outs in non-bridged mono or stereo.
    Check the QSC website to download the PDF manual, which explains everything.

9. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    so really, the speakon in channel one is used as the binding post? so its like binding but easier? am i correct?

so all i need to do then is to run out and get me a speakon to 1/4 cable in a high gauge and short length and im set.

thanks, if thats right

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Kinda sorta. Read the manual for the full scoop, but you have the right idea. You need a specially wired Speakon plug (see the manual), but it's easy.