Help me with wooden pickgaurd ideas...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Dec 16, 2003.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have a vintage bass that is no longer original due to some electronics issues that cannot be resolved to factory specs. The pickguard besides being ugly black plastic is going to have few open holes in it.

I am considering making a nice figured wood pg for it.

The body is Ash

I'm thinking:
    Some kind of burl
    Claro Walnut

I'm open to ideas...

2. i think walnut would look awsome. i wouldnt have much figuring on the wood, it might look out of place on the ash. maybe a bit of ebony would look cool on it too, like the '75 jazz RI
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My thinking is that the Ash is sooo plain that a nice figured pg would draw some attention.

Som macassar ebony might look nice, tho it might be a skosh too dark.
  4. i see what you mean, another i forgot to say, is some rosewood like on the dan armstrong basses and guitars. or maybe something like maple or ash but stained a cool color
    do you have any pics of the bass?
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Fodera has a series of basses with wooden pickguards-Conklin does as well. You can see some samples on their websites. Also, TB member Wolfehollow has a redwood pickguard on his custom that's very nice.
  6. TB's own Wolfehollow showed me this pickguar down at the Mobile Bass Summit last August. I believe it's burled redwood. It's pretty rad looking, though I think the "blistered flesh" look might be an acquired taste:

i like it. it looked a lot more beautiful and detailed in person.

7. where would one acquire wood that thin in order to make a p-guard? I think i want to on an essex im thinking about buying.
  8. I, too, vote for rosewood. My high school had a blonde early 70s P-bass with a replacement rosewood guard. I've loved that look ever since.
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Wolfehollow's bass is a killer.

As far as the wood goes you just buy it and plane it to the proper size...

Oooooh... I just had a thought: Camphor Burl ??
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I imagine camphor burl would look lovely.
  11. has 1/8 inch thick stock and they'll glue together any width you want for a (very) small price. They have just about any type of wood you can thingk of. I'm refinishing my Hamer Cruise in butterscotch blonde and am making a rosewood pg to match the fretboard, along with rosewood knobs. The wood is slightly thicker than a pickguard so you'll have to plane it or sand it if you want it to be the same thickness. An alternative to that is beveling the edge of the pg where it slides under the fretboard and leaving the rest of it 1/8 inch thick.

My vote is to get a pickguard that is the same as your fretboard material- it brings the whole thing together. IMHO of course.

12. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    blistered flesh!!!! hahaha

It doesnt look like that under the lights!

Think also what type of finish you want on it. Mine is starting to do its job and will need a bit of buffing down the road. You might want to put sometype of "coating" on it to keep it fresh! ...or flesh!
  13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Did you mean pickgourd? I think dried gourds glued onto your bass would be so cool ...

14. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Excuse me...PICkGUARD...
  15. thats what im thinking. Maybe some kind of birdseye maple or somethin. Would look super slick if the FB wasnt lined, but...maybe , just maybe i'll turn it into a project bass and someday get a warmoth FB for it, and new pickups and P-retros and a badass and wood p-up covers and a refin....:)Cool to think about, but i'd be just as well off starting from the ground up with a ash body or somethin.