1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me Write My Ad

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Rip Topaz, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm in a slump. My last band disbanded a few months ago, and I've been having zero luck with finding something new.

I'm pretty open-minded, but with so many really bad CL ads out there, I'd like to have an edge.

Without this turning into a total goofy waste of a thread, let's get some ideas together.

What should my ad include? Realistically, too. It's a ton of fun to add stupid comments to threads, but I'm serious here. I'm losing my mind not playing regularly, this being my first extended break from being in a band since the 80's!!

Let's try to stay away from the obvious. Yes, I play well, have a van, and have decent gear (and a PA, you'd think that would help, but not so far!!). No need to list that kind of stuff.

What is it that really grabs you when reading musician available ads, that makes you wanna pick up the phone?

2. links to previous music that you've played. anyone can claim they have previous experience, i wanna hear it.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Flexibility. If your ad sounds like you have this very specific idea of X music you want to play, then if I'm not playing X music, I won't contact you. The more different things you're willing to try, the more likely someone out there has a slot for you.

4. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Personally, I would never initiate the process. First, I don't think bands I would want to join are reading ads placed by musicians; I think they're running their own ads or working their network to find members. Secondly, any band reading my ad is going to judge me based on that ad and I would rather be judged in person or through a normal audition process rather than some stranger's interpretation of whatever I might place in my ad.

Even worse, I think an ad will force you to wade through a lot of response from people you don't want to talk to (start-ups, go-nowheres, basement jammers), and yield nothing from good opportunities... basically just wasting your time.

I would take the time you would have spent managing your ads and responding to dead-enders, and use that time responding to band ads, going to open mics, and notworking with other musicians.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question or stay on your requested topic, but I really think it's a better use of your time.

Good luck!

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I agree, go out see some of the local bands, the established working bands and network.

You never know when their looking and they don't necessarily advertise.

Blue

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    "Guitarist is seeking regular solo gigs in high end restrooms in the Savannah area. I can play a wide range of styles from old timey to classical and olfactory to nasal retentive. I would prefer to play in multi-stall facilities in commercial buildings, looking for steady work and need money for my toaster collecting habit but my chops are like a chocolate laxative so I can be a little choosy. I have a high security clearance and my TWIC card so Ports Authority, Federal and Military latrine gigs are clear. For a small fee I will also learn disco hits of the 70s and keep my mouth shut about booger sugar usage and other stuff but draw the line at child abuse and dog helmeting. For furry parties I require a well air conditioned facility and have bunny, piggy and Hello Kitty costumes at the ready, any dry cleaning charges will be billed as an expense. If electric guitar is your preference a tested GFI outlet is required. So don't wait, soon you can have the best rest room entertainment in the Coastal Empire."

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Thanks. That was helpful.

8. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Rip,

I'm with Chris and Blue on this one.
    CL is a crapshoot so answering ads is going to be your best bet there overall.

Getting out and hanging will likely be more beneficial whether at the open mics/gigs at clubs, music stores, or even some recording studios, etc..

Best of luck to you.

9. maybe start by advertising yourself as available for sub/fill-in gigs. that way you might pick up a few bucks and get an audition for a spot that might not officially be open yet.

10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Keep in mind that a CL ad is only one part of the puzzle. Just figured if I'm gonna stoop to that level I may as well put together a decent ad.

I actually got an email his afternoon with an offer for an audition.

11. Things I look for:

Playing level, commitment, type of music, past experience/samples, decent stage gear, eventual musical direction (Record label? Wedding gigs?)

Knowing that you have the gear you do would actually be a huge thing for me.

"Experienced bassist needs a new band.

I am a bassist with 30 years experience playing in the turbo-nitro-charge groovecore soul funk. My last band, 2 cool 4 skool, disbanded, and for the first time since the 80's, I am bandless!

I'm really bummed that I don't have a gigging band and need a project to put my heart and soul into. My influences include Suicide Silence, Vivaldi, Chris Brown, and Ben Folds. If we're in the same genre and grooving, you don't have to like the same guys I do.

A sample of my past work can be found here.

Looking to practice 3 times a week for 12+ hours a day and gig wherever we can. Own a PA, van for transport, etc. Know managers in town, ready to practice, record, and book gigs".

Replace the silliness with real figures and adjust to taste depending on what your actual goals are.

Also, Craigslist allows you to post up to 8 pictures. Post one of you with your nicest bass/amp (beware of broadcasting your nicest things on the internet, though). Also, one of you playing the most impressive stage/crowd you can find, an action shot from one of your gigs, a picture of the PA, maybe a picture of the van, you in a group shot if your old band did one, etc.

12. gotta be careful with the pics. I've had many an ad that sounded promising to me until I got to the pics. I appreciated that they were there, at least they kept me from wasting my time.

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Bassist available - Name - Number - email or Facebook - Links to music/video samples.

Done (unless you are specifically wanting to do something different than what your experience /media represents in which case say so, but keep it short and sweet.)

Every word said is an opportunity for someone to take it the wrong way because the tone and context of the words is in the mind of the reader. Let the music do the talking as much as possible. If what you put out there looks/sounds pro, you are more likely to attract pros and scare the riff raff away.

Also, you are just trying to spark the contact. Leave details and preferences open for discussion on the phone or in person.

14. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    +4 on not putting up your own ad. If you're looking for a band that needs you they will have their own ad for you to respond to. Your own ad will look desperate and attract weirdos :( .

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    So I put an ad on CL last week, and I've got a few responses.

I jammed with a pretty decent classic rock band the other night. Cool guys but a little too old for me, our versions of what was classic rock were different. I politely declined.

I've got an audition on Wednesday with another band, I'm hoping to get this one.

But I gotta share this. I got an email from a guy saying (in the typical no punctuation email) "I play drums and guitar and sing. Hit me back."

That was the whole email. He caught me when I was feeling a little sarcastic, so I responded with, "How do you play drums and guitar at the same time?!?"

His response was this:

"Lets try this again. First off i hate computers. I'm ****** with them and they piss me off before I even start to type. Found u on face book. We both got long hair so thats a start, and im guessing if i drink a beer or smoke a joint it want cause a problem. i havent played out much im more of a jammer. so if u ever down with getting f****d up and making some noise let me know. my son is 13 months so any jamming here would be early evening."

REALLY?!? I edited the swears. Is this for real?!?!

So in other words, "Come on over. We can jam and get wasted, but be quiet cuz my NEWBORN CHILD is in the house."

"Three years from now, it'll still be just the two of us in the 'band', and we be up to four songs in the set. Don't worry they won't get boring, cuz I'll be playing a different solo every time."

Right.

16. Not often I would agree with Chris and Blue but yeah, advertising is going to give you a mess of flakey wannabes to wade through.

Open mics scratch the itch. I got "picked up" at an open mic and haven't looked back.

If you feel the need to reach out electronically, fill a need for what you do, whatever that is.

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Well, luckily I got a few really good responses quickly. Now I can remove the ad and move on.

There were some real winners. See above.

18. Maybe it's just me, I thought notworking with other musicians was the problem he was trying to correct with an advert.

Anyway, glad the O.P. found what he was looking for.

19. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Well, tentatively I have found something.

An old friend's band contacted me a few days ago, not knowing that it was me. It was really cool when we realized who we were talking to, and everyone is really excited for Wednesday evening's audition.

I was given a full set list, and told to pick 6 songs for the audition, with the request from the guitarist/BL that one of them be "Brick House". Sweet!!

After looking over the full list, I realized that I not only already know 6, but I also knew almost 75% of their songs!! Even better. I put in the work over the last few days, and learned ALL of their songs including the originals they sent me.

So the music is now out of the equation for the audition. It's all gonna come down to how well we all get along.

I'm stoked. And still laughing about the other email.

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    So you didn't want to get wasted with a guy and jam, while his baby sleeps?

That would've been SO COOL.

I've done it, and I have to say, it led to some really great things.

I think I still have a restraining order out on that guy.