1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me write my research paper!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RyRob813, Oct 5, 2009.

1. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    After a full year in music school, doing nothing but bass and music theory, I've been confronted with a gen. ed. :bawl: History of American Popular Music.

I need to write a research paper, and the topic I've decided on is "How music effects culture, and vice versa." Specifically, the music of the turn of the century, and also early jazz.

I need sources- I've already decided on the textbook for the class of course, and the Ken Burns Jazz documentary. If you can offer me any websites or books that could give me some good quotes for this paper, it'd be greatly appreciated, I only have six days, as I was just transfered into the class :help:

Thanks!

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    How about you write your own paper bub? :eyebrow:

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    With this short notice, I suggest you call up Maki and do a research paper on his dub band and how it influences Orange County. I'm sure there will be some noteworthy quotes, and you'll prolly get an A for it.

4. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    HaHaHa. :D

5. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I'll try to be a little more helpful than Maki and Jive. ;) First of all, that's a pretty big subject that you might want to narrow down a bit. I do some assisting for an undergraduate History of Pop Music course and if you were one of my students I'd be telling you that your subject was too broad in scope. Having said that, here are a few book titles that might interest you:

Souled American: How Black Music Transformed White Culture by Kevin Phinney, and Black Music White Business: Illuminating the History and Political Economy of Jazz by Frank Kofsky. For a look at hip-hop and "black culture" you could check out Black Noise and Microphone Fiends, both by Tricia Rose. Good luck.

6. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    That would be the goal. I was looking for some possible pointers, being that I was given six days notice to write a fairly lengthly paper for a teacher blissfully unaware of the fact I have serious practicing to do for classes relevant to my career :meh: Of course, if I were on the opposite end of the predicament, I'd probably make fun of me too :spit:

Thanks! Yes, I'm going to talk a lot about jazz, and how the music and culture surrounding it reflected the somewhat hidden racial tensions of the teens and twenties.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

First thing to do is look up the difference between "Affects" and "Effects". It won't impress the teacher if you continue to use the wrong word.

Then some internet searches should do wonders!

One recommendation - the NPR radio show "American Routes" is all about this topic. http://americanroutes.publicradio.org/

I don't know how much info is available on the website, but the show is fantastic and covers all kinds of music.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    IMO, you should go with "How Culture Affects Music", leave out the vice-versa.

Check this out: links

9. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

You're complaining about six days notice? :eyebrow:

Give me a pot of coffee, some microwave pizza rolls and a deadline and I'll have your paper done by morning.

Hell, I just churned out seven pages before typing this post.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Don't forget the random illustrations! You can fill at least six pages with random illustrations!

11. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Yeah, I didn't make that up! Great stuff!

This will help get you started:

2009-10-06_100406.

13. This. Six days? :eyebrow: Please. I knocked off a 12-page paper in 6 hours yesterday. Quit worrying about it and get your act together. Nothing personal man, but really!

14. Pilgrim

BEST. VIDEO. EVER.

I just added a link to it in the online graduate course I teach, with the notation: "If this approach appeals to you, it's going to be a long semester."

I just emailed back a grad student's paper in which he left out two words, failed to add the "s" to indicate the plural on three words, wrote three questions without question marks at the end, failed to cite his sources, made an unsupported assertion, and wrote one meaningless sentence - all on the first page. He must have written it between 12:00 and 12:05 this morning.

15. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Heh, Heh. I don't know why, perhaps it's because I'm teacher, or perhaps it's because I just finished my masters degree, but for some reason, I found this pretty humorous.

16. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
  17. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That paper must have required a lot of research. :eyebrow:

18. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey thanks to the helpful posts here- there were several.

But to everyone else...at which point in my post did I ask for your opinion on my work habits? I'm actually an extremely hard worker, which is probably why I have a 3.8 average and the overall scholarship in my department. Please do not judge me, being that you do not know me.

To those saying I have plenty of time- sure, I would have, if I had been in this class since day one, but I was thrown into it two weeks into the semester, meaning everyone else had, yes, two full weeks to work on the paper. I hadn't even been able to learn the material yet, and everyone else had half a paper.

So basically, if you have some helpful advice to offer, great! But if not, please keep your rude comments to yourself, thank you!

19. Pilgrim

I hope my students find it the same! I also hope they take the hint and don't hand in papers that are 75% unattributed text from a website, as has happened in the past. (That never happens to you, right?)

But hey, there's no point in teaching if you can't have a little fun with it at the same time.

20. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Oh yeah, happens all the time. They learn that trick at a young age. :atoz: