HELP ME ?!?!?!?!!?!?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jason1360, Jan 28, 2001.

1. jason1360

Jan 28, 2001
    Hi !, I just started learning bass, i took my dads old one(its a thunder I-A r soemthing liek that) and i was wondering if there was n e way to develop the hard top you get on your fingers n e faster ? , because my friend plays lead guitar and he has them and i keep getting blood blisters when i play my bass for a while ?, also could ne 1 who has ne, send me nirvana tabs ? thanx to ne 1 who helps out ! :)

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    For all your tab needs, checkout either or :)
  3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Jason, believe it or not, your amp is what's making your fingers sore.

Most people who are just starting on bass roll off so much of the treble in order to get rid of unwanted finger noise that all the "punch" goes away. It gets rid of the finger noise but then you start playing with a heavier and heavier touch. Blisters and bad technique are the results.

Crank up the volume on your amp and play with a lighter touch. You also can play much faster with a light touch than with a touch that's heavy enough to cause a blister.

Start right now on theory. An hour of actual instrument practice and an hour of study will get you where you want to go much faster than practice alone.

At this point in your career there MUST be one all encompassing golden rule. If it hurts after you've finished playing, you are doing something wrong. Injuries are a very real possibility when the bass is played wrong. You can shorten or lengthen your career by YEARS with the playing habits that develop in the first year or two.

If you want to develop pads (callouses) the absolute last thing that you want to do is develop blisters. Evert time a blister develops and peels, you have to start all over again. The longer you take to develop a callous, the better. The calouses on my fingers after years and years of playing double bass are not hard at all. More just a thickening of the skin on my fingertips. Kind of like soft leather.

Of course girlfriends are secondary to music, but they appreciate that your hands don't feel like a pine cone. :)

Sorry to be so longwinded but I hope this helps.

4. jason1360

Jan 28, 2001
    Thanx, but when I hit the strings softer you don't get the right efect, the song im playing is ment to be noisy and **** but when i hit it softly it comes out softer even when the volume is up more ?
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Hmmm. O.K., I stand corrected. My next advice would be just learn to live with the pain. You can either curse the darkness or light a candle. Your choice. :)

6. Ok, pop the blister with a pin and let the air to it. that'll make a callous. So too, at this early stage don't stress out about theory and the technical side of things. get the songs you want to play and learn them to the best of your ability.

That way you are setting up the fundamental of bass playing and that is enjoyment. No point in starting all the boring stuff first. Have your mates come round and they say "hey cool man what can you play?". "Well i can play scales and harmonics" or something like that. They want to hear u show off on a simple song. lol.

I've taught myself to play and i found i "clumped" around on the fret board for a while, but sooner or later the correct technique develops. The harder songs you attempt to play will correct any bad habits you get into as you'll have to play properly to get the song right.

Plus with your amp, fiddle around with it until you get the sound you like. If that means no treble then so be it. You may find that within a year or so you want to go something completely different.

Oh BTW check out the tabs on here. basstabarchive has been having problems apparently but Talkbass is the mirror site and may not be affected..

[Edited by merlin on 01-29-2001 at 08:32 PM]
  7. one of the things you can do is keep your fingers clean and dry. Picking up a beer or coke when you are playng can increase the friction and cause blisters. Don't play with sticky fingers and you will gradualy develope lasting callouses. If you look at some of the older posts there is a lot on this subject.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

For the callouses, the bass player's friend, Super Glue. I would imagine some of the instant bonding "super" glues are available in Ireland. That Waterford crystal breaks.

It was originally developed to substitute for stitches and then some smart person thought it would make a great adhesive to fix broken household items. But it works great for callouses, too, and doesn't get tacky. However, they won't be using you in any pictures for hand lotion ads.
  9. And how are you going to explain to the doctor when u glue your hand to the strings?? :p "Doctor, i got a problem. lol it makes no sound and i can't move my hand".

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

And how are you going to explain to the doctor when u glue your hand to the strings?? :p "Doctor, i got a problem. lol it makes no sound and i can't move my hand".

Merls [/B][/QUOTE]

Merls- I feel like I'm having that problem anyway without super glue, some nights.
  11. If its just that song thats giving you blisters because you have to play too hard, dish out 25cents and buy a pick. I personally do not like to play with a pick, and some of the "senior members" really dont like these youngsters and their picks ;)... But if you are getting blisters... i would reccomend picking that song...