Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vbass, Jun 25, 2004.

1. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Ok, so I'm about to get sick, got that pending feeling in my throat and an increasing headache. I can't get sick right now!! My band's first show is tomorrow night and this is horrible timing. How can I avoid or at least put off getting sick?! Any advice? Vitamin C, B... what helps? Even if I can just minimize it at this point it would be better than nothing, I already have ZERO energy today. :meh:

2. lots of beer and smokes!!! oh wait i mean juice and rest... that's it.. :smug:

3. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I can't rest but I guess I can try the beer thing...

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nothing.

Rest and plenty of fluids will help. But you really need to rest up and eat and drink well. Think balanced meal, plenty of water and sleep.

But honestly it could be allergies. Or at worst the start of a cold. I usually I am ok the first few days of an illness. After that it begins to suck.

5. works for me!!! ummm.. well, maybe just once... i use B-12 and tons of Cranberry, Orange, anything 100% juice. actually that advil cold & sinus stuff works KILLER. each time i get sick that stuff really helps. even if i know i'm gonna be hurting afterwards, it helps during a set.. and if you're feeling that sick you might as well put a bucket on stage... :p

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    best thing i've been able to do was simply refuse to get sick. just make up your mind to simply not do it.

here are some other things that may work, but sometimes i find doing a bunch of crap winds up making me focus more on the sickness, which sometimes kicks the fear in even stronger - and then i lose the battle.

-drink TONS of water.

-take all the antioxidants you can get your hands on - C, beta carotene, E, selenium, zinc, and Bs. there are others but i believe those are the main guys. gargle with warm salt and water, even if it's just a tickle in your throat.

-repeat affirmations to yourself, they really work. i think the brain starts believing it after a while, even if you don't. "i enjoy beautiful radiant health!" "I am completely healthy right now!" "my body is getting stronger and healthier each and every second!" whatever works best for you.

worst case scenario is you get really sick and have to play anyhow. most of us have had to do that at one point or another. consider it a stripe on your shirsleeve if it happens. makes the gig more memorable for sure. cold capsules make it a little more endurable.

the only illnesses that I think would keep me from a gig would be a really bad stomach virus (puking is my least favorite thing in the world to do) - and a fever of over 103 that asprin wouldn't bring down. in which case I'd probably need to go to the hospital anyhow. i guess there'd be others that could put me out of service, but I'd prefer not to entertain the thought. most of us will player no matter what. good luck and have fun.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yup I have done some gigs jsut feeling dog dodo. If your nose is stuffed up use the nasal spray. Burns alittle but it works. Take asprin, Tylenol etc

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I had to do a school concert (I played with 3 groups of the 5 that night) while sick with mono! Do I win? ;)

Everyone else's advice is right on.

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Yo guys, that's some good advice, thank you! It's definitely not allergies as I have those all the time and this is different. I haven't been sick in over a year and of course the day before the gig breaks the streak! I'm pumping the B's and C vitamins and I'll be sure to drink a lot of water. The mental thing is really some good advice Joe, cuz I think I willed myself into getting sick or something. :crying:
    Regardless, I'll be playing the gig, I just wanted to be as close to 100% for it.

10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    That stinks. I'd bet you money that you'll forget all about it when you get up on stage though. I watched Helmet jam a few years ago and thier drummer was way sick with the flu. He still had lots o' fun!

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sometimes a sustained sugar high during the gig helps, but you'll feel worse after it's over.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Crawl into a hole and die. It's what I do whenever I'm sick. Seems to work for me, anyway.

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    sorry everyone, what i meant to say was i can offer you a nice cup of herbal tea for £10 and a deck of fine quality tobacco products

14. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    That's awful nice of you and all, buuut I think I'd rather crawl into a hole and die.

15. good luck V. that just plain sucks. wish i had a mystery cure for ya.

16. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    have fun!
    no really, just tough it out and be metal.

17. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Man, inflation has gone out of control on the other side of the ocean.

EDIT: I think I just got what you meant by "herbal" in which case the price isn't as bad, but it's still a bad price.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    About now I should point out my advice is largely based on heresay and conjecture.

19. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

It's too late, unless she brought a lap-top with her.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    She. vbass is a she.